1995 Pontiac Grand Am 1995 Grand Am GT 3.1 V6 Won't start

WEBCO317
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
1995 Grand AM GT, 3100 / 3.1 V6 with 104k. It runs great when it is running and seems to never have any problems, but sometimes out of the blue it seems like it is trying to run / crank, but it just won't turn over. It does not appear to be a starter problem as I can hear the starter working fine. I pump the gas and it just seems like it's not getting fuel or won't turn over. After about 20 minutes or some random amount of time, I can usually get it started by pumping the gas. One shop told me I had low fuel pressure and needed a new pump, another told me that a fuel pump wouldn't work intermittently like that, so it must be something else. Had the plugs, wires, and coil pack replaced. Also threw a code for an EGR valve going bad, but it didn't throw that code until sometime after it started this intermittent problem. No other codes noted. Any advice? I really don't have a ton of money to throw into it, but I really need it to be reliable.

Thanks!
Sunday, June 14th, 2009 AT 4:29 PM

1995 Pontiac Grand Am 1995 Grand AM GT 3.1 V6 Won't start

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark causing the problem.

Get a starting fluid/ether/better off gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Sunday, June 14th, 2009 AT 4:49 PM
WEBCO317
Would a lose EVAP Purge valve vacuum line or an EGR valve cause the problem I have described?
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 8:41 PM
Are you getting fuel and spark?
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 3:20 AM
WEBCO317
I am not sure about when it is having its "problem" or not running/firing. Right now it is running, so it does have fuel and spark. I was just trying to find out if the EGR valve being bad and a vacuum being unplugged from the evap purge valve would cause an intermittent firing / running problem?
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 12:41 PM
A massive vacuum leak can prevent the engine from starting can be caused by the EGR or vac. Hoses-No its not the EGR or the purge valve

I recommend you have the fuel pressure checked out
Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 3:54 PM
WBHUDSONIII
Did you find your problem
Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 12:13 PM