1995 Grand Am SE Coupe -- window, AC and vents

MARJORINE
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Ugh. Yes, I am getting this car so that it is ready to sell.

Okay, are there any good instructions online on how to fix a window regulator? I have pretty much decided that is what my mechanics broke. They wouldn't take responsibility for being careless with my fragile crank window. Instructions? I have a manual but it really isn't much help.

My AC seems to be low on r134a since it has not been blowing much of any cold air. Late in the season to be worrying about this, but you know how it is. Living down south, you'd be insane not to have AC. How do I know if it is just low on refrigerant and not something more costly? The compressor looks like it is running and it is blowing out cold air but not much. Of course, I have stopped using the AC when I noticed that it wasn't producing any cold air.

Also. The biggest question of all since I do not have a cause pinpointed and it is kind of important now that colder weather is coming. My vents won't switch from the regular vents to the windshield defrosters. What could be causing this?

Oh, and as I specified in the title. My car is a 1995 Grand Am SE Coupe with almost 88k miles (yes, you read right). I don't know the engine size and I really doubt it matters with my question.

Lizzy :)
Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 12:27 AM

JONESJT
My experience is with my wife's 93 Grand Am SE, 130K miles.

I'm not sure what manual you have, but I found a Chilton's manual (the vehicle specific, $20 variety, similar to the Haynes manuals sold at Auto Zone, but I think the Chilton's are more helpful) to be very helpful. If it is a manual crank window I can help with more specific instructions as I have done this job before.

I would recommend going ahead and recharging the refridgerant (make sure the vehicle does, in fact, use r134a and not the older R12, I can't remember when this switch was made, but my 93 had the R12; R12 is incompatible with r134a). The refridgerant is cheap and easy to do yourself and the most likely culprit, relative to the other possibilities.
Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 7:48 AM
MARJORINE
Any thoughts on the vent problem?

I know my refrigerant is r134a because it says so under the hood. It also says it holds 2.25lbs of it. ;)

What other parts will I need to fix my window other than a new regulator? I'm about to order a new one so I want to be sure what else I should add to my cart.
Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 11:39 AM
JONESJT
It just depends on what is broken. You can usually see what the problem is if you take the interior panel off of the door; you'll have to do this to replace the regulator anyway. The only other components that make up the window crank assembly are a plastic guide rail, some plastic pieces used to attach the window to the regulator, and some screws and nuts. Usually the regulator is installed using rivets at the factory, it is much easier to replace them with short screws and nuts though. The proper sized rivets aren't easy to find and require a large rivet gun.
Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 1:47 PM