1992 Pontiac Grand Am COMPUTER MODULE

CBISHOP
  • 1992 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I Replaced the ignition switch it was bad, While charging the battery tried to start, what I believe to be the computer module, hummed but the engine would not turn over. Then when I would turn the key on the computer mod would click, click, and when I would try and start nothing no noise of any kind. Replaced the battery bolts and charged battery, now there is nothing all the lights come on but when I try to start it there is nothing no clicking or humming?
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 3:38 PM

It sounds like the switch you replaced is bad. When you refer to computer module, where was it and what did it look like? Does any thing work? Are you sure you have a good ground to the engine block from the battery? If you check the battery with a volt meter, how many volts is it producing?

Let me know. Sorr about all the questions. I'm just trying to eliminate things. Also, what was the old ignition switch doing?
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 9:29 PM
CBISHOP
Ok. It was the battery, car starts and runs good for about 15min then the check engine light comes on and the engjne starts surging. I can shut it off and start it it will be ok for a minute or 2 then it starts surging again.
Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 4:55 PM
Have you had the computer scanned to identify why it is coming on? It sounds like it could be the throttle position sensor (TPS) or the idle air control valve (IAC). Take it to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan the computer. Most will do it for free, there will be no money out of pocket, and then I'll know what direction to have you go.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 6:43 PM
CBISHOP
Ok, Well I have tried to have the computer scanned and the only 2 places in my small town that do it, they can't scan anything older than a '96. But I did notice that some of the vacuum lines were wore out to the point when I tugged on them they fell apart, I have replaced them and it seemed to fix the problem, for now. I drove it about 5 - 10 miles with no problems. If it starts again I will take it to a shop and have them scan it.
Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Craig.
Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 5:16 PM