2006 Pontiac G6 Constant Problems

DANLEY
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6
I am looking for advice. I bought this car in Oct 2007. It had 10500 miles. I have had numerous problems, most of them minor, that the manufactures warranty covered up to the 36000 mile mark. Had to have the line from the gas tank to the opening (where you put gas in) replaced first week of ownership. Replaced an oil level sensor. I have an ongoing electrical problem where the dashboard gauges will go completely down, then come back up next time you start the car (rarely happens, but still). Dealer cant find a problem. The check engine light comes on every 3 months or so, then goes off again about 2-3 days later. Dealer cant find a problem. I had a clogged fuel injector that needed to be fixed. I have to fill the coolant tank about every 2-3 months when I get a low level indicator. Dealer cant find a problem, no leaks. A month ago, the muffler failed. First major problem. GM agreed to pay for it and I'm getting it fixed this Saturday. BUT WAIT. The check engine light is on again. Whats new, cant get one thing fixed before another problem comes up. I have an extended warranty that may pay for some of the problems that may come up. But. Is it possible this car was in a flood or some other hidden issue could be causing these problems? I want to take the car somewhere to get it checked out bumper to bumper. Finally, my questions: What should I have the repair facility look for? What are some other possibilities that I am overlooking? Most importantly, What would YOU do in my shoes?
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 9:00 PM

WRENCHTECH
It sounds like you have more of a dealer problem than a car problem. There is no reason at all that the dealer can't resolve these issues. You really can't walk into a shop and tell them what to check. You have to use a competent shop, which it appears that you are not doing right now, and just tell them accurately what the symptoms are and they will diagnose them in their way. We do not like to be told how to do our jobs and if you try to dictate what you want tested and how to do it, they will follow your orders, knowing they are wrong, just to cost you money and teach you not to do that in the future. Let them do their job, just find the right shop in the first place.
Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 7:56 AM
DANLEY
Not sure where you got the idea I walked into a shop and told them what to check. I have only gone to GM dealers (two of them). Secondly I would not know how to tell a service tech how to do their job. I simply explain the problems I'm having. I could scan and post the service records from the dealer showing the "customer complaint" and the resolution that no problem was found. I have no idea why they cant resolve the coolant problem. In the case of the dashboard and check engine light, I havent been able to get the car to the dealer while the problem is actually happening. Lastly, thanks for confirming what myself and many consumers have always suspected. An auto repair facility, whether its a dealer or not, will rip you off if given the opportunity.
Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 8:39 AM
WRENCHTECH
OK, this is where I got the idea that you wanted to tell them what to look for.

Now, this statement is where you just lost me and you will have to find someone else to help you. I happen to be one of those shops and I was here trying to help you as a volunteer and I take that as a personal insult.
Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 8:45 AM