2005 Pontiac G6 Engine Concerns

TIMRISS
  • 2005 PONTIAC G6
While cleaning my car the other day, I decided to add some coolant to my engine. This has been the second time in the two years I've owned the car my low coolant light has went on. Well I added the coolant and later that night my temperature gage starting steadily rising and stopped at 200 degrees in the middle of the night. This is very alarming because before I added any coolant my temperature gage would barely rise at night. I got in my car the following afternoon and again it stopped at 200 degrees. This is the first time ive seen it that hot at any time of day. My car has not overheated yet and overheats at 260 degrees. I am very concerned and plan on visiting a mechanic soon but I cant get there for a few days. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this where your car actually gets hotter after adding coolant? I looked in the manual and my car said to use dex-cool. I used Predstone 50/50 antifreeze which is the same exact stuff I used last time I filled my coolant and I didnt have this problem. Can anyone help?
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 3:06 AM

WRENCHTECH
I'm not sure where you would be getting these numbers from but 200 degrees is certainly not hot at all and actually below normal for most cars these days. Most electric cooling fans routinely don't turn on until about 225 degrees and are expected to run in that range. Most are not considered overheating until after 230 degrees.

Here are the specs for your particular fan system.

The PCM commands Low Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

* Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106 C (223 F).
* When A/C is requested and the ambient temperature is more than 50 C (122 F).
* A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1,310 kPa (190 psi).
* After the vehicle is shut off if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is more than 140 C (284 F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

* Engine coolant temperature reaches 110 C (230 F).
* A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1,655 kPa (240 psi).
* When certain DTCs set
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 4:34 AM
TIMRISS
Thank you for the response. I really know nothing about cars which I why I seeked help in this fourm. The numbers I'm referring to are what I see on my gauge. It starts at 100 and goes up to 260. The 200 mark I am now reaching day or night is above the halfway point which I never really saw before. What really had me confused was that I saw it that high at night time which I never had before. Is it normal for my car to consistently be running past the halfway mark day or night?
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 1:23 PM
WRENCHTECH
I already posted what the acceptable temperatures are. You are yet to determine if the gauge is accurate or not. A scan tool would give you access to the temp the computer is seeing.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 1:59 PM