1990 Pontiac Firebird stalling

SEPRAT20
  • 1990 PONTIAC FIREBIRD
When I am slowing down to a stop, the engine shuts off. It isn't when I start slowing down. Its that moment just before completely stopping. After a while I found that I can prevent it from happening by letting off the brake pedal a little. I did the brake test where you pump the brake pedal until hard, hold it, start the car and the pedal goes down. I suspected it might be the booster but I dont know. What else might be happening?
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 1:07 PM

To check the vacuum booster, pump the brake pedal with the engine off until you've bled off all the vacuum from the unit. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine. You should feel the pedal depress slightly as engine vacuum enters the booster and pulls on the diaphragm. No change? Then check the vacuum hose connection and engine vacuum. If okay, the problem is in the booster and the booster needs to be replaced.
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 1:21 PM