New engine in Pontiac Fiero will not start ***Fixed

RSCHOPF
  • PONTIAC FIERO
Hi I am new to the forum. So if I miss some information that is needed to diagnose the problem just ask me for it. On to the problem.

I have a 1986 Pontiac Fiero with at 2.5 4cyl. I blew the piston rings in the engine sometime in late september. I bought a rebuilt engine for it and took the last few months for me to put it in. I finally finished all the little details and tried to start it. The engine turns over just fine, there is spark, oil pressure and compression. The fuel injector is not spraying any fuel, but that is another problem I think I can fix. I was just trying to get the engine to start so I put a little gas in the intake. All it did was backfire a couple of times. I am pretty sure this is a timing issue, but I don't exactly know how to proceed with fixing it. If you don't know the 4 cyl has a set of timing gears that once the engine is put together can not be seen or adjusted. The timing is completly electronic, and it does have a distributor. If someone could just point me in the right direction on where to start adjusting, it would be appreciated

Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 11:50 PM

HYKNRD
Was this rebuilt professionally?
Sounds like it may be a timing issue. Was the distributor installed correctly---#1 piston TDC on compression stroke, rotor towards #1 terminal?
If not that's your problem.
If so, then maybe you were off a tooth or two, or the distributor just needs turned a bit, or possible vacuum leaks, valves misadjusted.
Good luck. Hope that helps
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 12:26 AM
RSCHOPF
Yes the rebuild was professional block and head installed, but the engine had been sitting for awhile. I got it from a man who had purchased 30+ engines from a shop that went out of buisiness.

Do you know how exactly I would adjust distributor to begin with?
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 12:30 AM
RSCHOPF
Sorry, to clarify my question a bit. Do you know how to find TDC on the #1, as I stated in the original message, there are no external timing marks on the engine.
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 12:32 AM
HYKNRD
There is nothing on the timing cover or crankshaft pulley. That kinda stumped me for a minute. I forgot some cars are timed by the marks on the flywheel.
To find TDC#1 you can pull the valve cover and rotate the engine until you find the compression stroke--#1 intake and exhaust valves both closed.
ORRRRRRRRR--If you have the timing marks use them
Hope that helps
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 1:00 AM
RSCHOPF
There is a small mark on the pulley that is for the timing, but it isn't useful unless the engine is running. I don't think there is a way to use it to orient the engine in the first place, at least nothing I have seen mentioned on this engine
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 1:14 AM
HYKNRD
The mark on the pulley is a good thing. There should be one on the timing cover at the bottom near the top of the pulley, may be hard to see.
If not it's on the flywheel. If so there is probably a cover over it or a plug that should be at the top rear of the engine.
With these marks just turn the engine over at the crankshaft pulley bolt(usually clockwise) until the timing marks align on zero. Pull the #1 spark plug before, you should feel compression before the marks align. Pull the distributor cap and check that the rotor is pointing at the #1 terminal(as close as possible). If not pull the distributor and make sure that it does.
That should be enough to get the car started. Make sure you can feel the compression or pull the valve cover and watch the valves.
Good luck
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 11:06 AM
RSCHOPF
Thanks for the advice. I used my compression tester to find the power stroke and lined the notch on the pulley to set the initial timing, it was off by 90 degrees. Car started on the second crank of the starter and was near perfect the first time. Runs great.

Thanks again
Sunday, December 24th, 2006 AT 1:36 AM
HYKNRD
Right on. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know. It's good to hear about the "fruits" of our "labor". Take care.
Sunday, December 24th, 2006 AT 2:30 PM