1986 Pontiac Fiero wont start

BIGBOY36
  • 1986 PONTIAC FIERO
I just got this car today, it will turn over but will not start. The last owner told me he changed the coil the cap and installed all new plugs and wires and it still wont start, he told me there is no fire going to the coil. What would I look for now?
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 11:13 PM

MMPRINCE4000
Remove ignition module and have it tested at most autoparts stores. Also inspect pick up coil for frayed wires.

The ign. Module is a common failure on this engine in the Fiero.
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 9:38 AM
BIGBOY36
Well all that is brand new still no fire? Would the computer in the middle console have anything to do with it?
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 11:36 PM
MMPRINCE4000
I would still test the ign. Module. YOU MUST use the white/clear grease on ign. Module base, and make sure dist. Vents are clear. Module must have clean ground to dist. Base.

If you have any exhaust leaks, they can cause havoc on the wiring.

ECM could be bad, also check junction box C500 next to battery.

Also measure slack in timing chain by rotating engine by hand (socket and ratchet on balancer) with dist. Cap off. Rotote engine clockwise until rotor moves, then counterclockwise until rotor moves again, measure degrees of rotation until rotor turns again.

Firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 and #1 is on trunk side on assy side. 1-3-5 on trunk, 2-4-6 on firewall, 2 is opposite side of #1.

Many electrical problems with the Fiero are simply wear to electrical harness from many heat cycles and not much ventelation in the engine compartment.

Look on net for Fierostore. Com. They sell many parts for this car.

Check fuel pump by applying 12V to terminal "G" of ALDL, pump should run, if not, then FP relay, next to AC relay, you can swap them, they are the same.
Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 7:01 AM