1986 Pontiac Fiero Fiero will turn over but won't start.

FIEROGUY123
  • 1986 PONTIAC FIERO
Hey I did all of that stuff that you told me to do the last time. The cylinder compression is reading about 50. I am no mechanic, but I think it supposed to be around 100 or so if I am correct. What do I do now? DOes it have to be rebuilt? Did I blow a gasket or something?
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 6:06 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
I dont know the history of your car, but if you did a compression test and they are around 50 then something is very wrong.

What were the readings on each cylinder?
Friday, April 17th, 2009 AT 4:54 PM
FIEROGUY123
The reading on the front left was 45, the reading in the front middle was about 55, the reading on the front right was about 45 as well
Saturday, April 18th, 2009 AT 10:14 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Did you check the other side too?

Tell me a little more history about your car.
Did it use to run and then all of a sudden it died and wouldn't restart?

Right now i'm thinking the timing chain has jumped a few teeth and now the cam shaft is out of phase with the crank shaft.
Saturday, April 18th, 2009 AT 6:16 PM
FIEROGUY123
No I did not check the other side, mainly because I really can't fit my fat fingers back there.

Yes I drove it to work and it worked fine all the way (45miles) then it wouldn't start when I was leaving work. It turns over all day till the battery dies, it just doesn't start.

The radiator fan went out and sometimes it stays on and sometimes it turns off. Could that instigate something like this? I know that the problem is nothing electrical because I had it run through an electrical shop for a week a couple of weeks ago.

Would I have to take the engine apart to fix the cam and crankshaft, like I said i'm not the biggest mechanic. Is it inside the motor?

If you need any more history just tell me so, I will be more than happy to proveide more

Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 3:44 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
I'm 95% sure you jumped time.
But I want you to check a few other things too, in case you are just getting low readings because your lifters have bled down from cranking the engine so much.

Check for spark, and check for fuel.

If it did jump time I've got good news and bad news.

The good
the timing kit and gaskets, oil change and antifreeze will all probably cost less than 100 bucks.
And it's a fairly straight forward job with common hand tools.

The bad.
It's going to be a long, slow process with the engine in the car.
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 5:14 PM
FIEROGUY123
Yea feul is full, feul filter is new, feul pump is working and things are in working order.
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 7:12 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
One last question,
when the battery was charged up.
Did it sound like it was turning over faster than normal?
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 4:43 PM
FIEROGUY123
Yes, It would turn over faster when it was charged up, but I don't think that the problem lies within the battery or battery components. I have checked every wire in the engine compartment for splices or disconnections, but everything is attached and in good working condition. Like I said before, the feul systems are all working properly.

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 6:15 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
You misunderstood what I was asking.

When an engine jumps time, there is less compression in the cylinders, so the starter doesn't have as much resistance as it normally does. So the engine spins easier.

So i'll ask it a different way.
Did you notice the engine sounding like it was spinning over faster than normal?
It usually has a higher pitch sound to it.
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 10:10 PM
FIEROGUY123
Oooo, ok, sorry, yes, it does turn over with a little less resistance, now that you mention it.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 AT 4:44 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Well,
start taking it apart.
Work on it a few hours each night and you should be done within a week.

PS, if you dont have power tools, break the harmonic balancer bolt loose before you disconnect the battery.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 AT 9:59 PM
FIEROGUY123
Hey thanks I really appreciate the help.
Saturday, April 25th, 2009 AT 8:43 AM
FIEROGUY123
Hey one more question. What would cuse something like this to happen?
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 6:53 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
200,000 miles on a GM 60 degree V6 (2.8, 3.1, 3.4) without the timing chain being replaced.
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 9:31 AM