CAR TURNS OVER BUT WON'T START

1997 Pontiac Bonneville

hoffman80

February, 15, 2009 AT 6:35 PM

1997 Pontiac Bonneville 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

I just bought a Pontiac Bonneville ssei 3.8 with supercharge and now it will not start. It turns over like it wants to, but won't start. It does not appear that the engine is getting fuel. I tried replacing the fuel filter, but that did not help. Also put in fuel additives to clean out but still nothing. Is this my fuel pump and if so, how hard is it to replace? Is it better to take to repair shop and if so, how costly is that?

February, 15, 2009 AT 7:03 PM

Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn key to run? If so check the fuel pressure if its within specification-No pressure the fuel pump defective. if you don't hear the pump could be the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if these 2 checks out could be the computer fuel pump relay controlled circuit.

Quotes
Varies with location labor ranges between $70.00-$130.00 per hr.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pump_24.jpg

hoffman80

February, 15, 2009 AT 7:18 PM

Yes I can hear the fuel pump when the key is in the on position. There does not seem to be enough fuel pressure. This is leading me to fuel pump assumption. Also, after my key was in the on position for a while, there was a fairly loud vibrating noise coming from the rear area sort of below the rear passenger seat.

February, 15, 2009 AT 8:03 PM

Could be the fuel pump making the racket under there

Check the fuel pressure it should be 48-55psi

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement