1995 Plymouth Voyager Gauges Quit working

ATHENAA21
  • 1995 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager, from my father.

Runs well after tuned up. Have only had to replace an 02 sensor in the 30 days I have owned it.

Shortly after the 02 sensor replacement, I experienced an issue with the gauge cluster. I was driving and the gauges began to "float". Shortly there after the "check gauges" light came on. I found that when I accelerated the car, the gauges would register, but when I took my foot off the gas, the gauges would float, and the light would "ding" telling me to check gauges.

We checked all fuses under the panel interior, and under the hood. We replaced the cluster - didn't fix issue. We replaced the ECM, didn't fix issue.

Now gauges do not work at all.

We are stuck, no more theories. I bought the car dirt cheap in hopes to sell, as I could use the money. I need to fix this fast, as I am thinking no one will want to buy this vehicle without working gauges.

I do not have a diagram to hunt and peck wiring. Not sure where to find this inexpensively, or on net either.
Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 11:13 AM

MERLIN2021
Sounds like a body control module, or another defective cluster, did you get a used one? Read the codes, Try this to get the codes, turn the key from of to on three times, on the fourth time, leave it on, any fault codes will display in the odometer. Write them down and post here.
+1
Saturday, August 9th, 2008 AT 7:24 AM
ATHENAA21
We tried the method to get the codes off the odometer. Nothing lit up. Nothing appeared.

We removed all the grounds under the hood and cleaned them up with sandpaper and put them back on. The gauge has power.

It reads "Check gauges". Van is running GREAT! - Minus this issue.

The cluster is good. It was used, but we have tried both the original and old one, and received the same response. Not thinking it is the cluster at this point.

Is there something else you can think of that would create this problem?

We checked all the fuses with test light as well.

We are drawing blanks. WE went and got a Hayne's repair book, and still can't figure anything out. I need to get this van sold. It sits unplated and my city is not going to have it much longer without giving me a ticket. Thank you VERY VERY much for you help.
+1
Sunday, August 10th, 2008 AT 9:14 PM
MERLIN2021
If you still have the old cluster, use a soldering gun and heat the solder points till they remelt on the board, it's usually a bad solder on the bottom connector area.
+1
Monday, August 11th, 2008 AT 2:31 AM
ATHENAA21
Wouldn't that have changed when I swapped clusters?

If it was something bad on the cluster, it would have changed when I swapped them out right? Because I am getting the EXACT same result regardless of what cluster I put in it.

Each one connects, has power, check gauges light comes on, but either cluster will not register (as in none of the gauges; temp, odometer, gas will respond. They don't even float. All needles sit as lowest point, and do not move). So the cluster is getting power, the ECM appears to be working. Swapped those back and forth as well, same result. I am thinking it's come kind of weird ground issue or something but I can't seem to locate it.
+1
Monday, August 11th, 2008 AT 7:37 AM
MERLIN2021
ENTERING ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS & SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS Electronic Instrument Cluster 1. While turning ignition on, simultaneously press TRIP and TRIP RESET buttons. The word CHEC should appear in odometer display. If there is no display, go to step 3). 2. If digits are displayed in odometer, repeat vehicle start (on-board diagnostic) sequence. If CHEC is displayed, cluster successfully entered self-diagnostic mode. Go to step 4). If an erroneous display in odometer appears, go to step 7). 3. Check all fuses. Check for ignition and battery voltage at instrument cluster connector. Check instrument cluster ground circuit. Repair voltage and ground circuit(s) as necessary. If all items are okay, replace instrument cluster. 4. Press US/M button to perform test sequence. If the word CODE appears in odometer display for 4 seconds, followed by 999 at 3 second intervals, go to step 7). If the word CODE appears in odometer display for 4 seconds, followed by 110 then 999 at 3 second intervals, replace electronic instrument cluster. 5. If the word CODE appears in odometer display for 4 seconds, followed by 921 then 999 at 3 second intervals, replace body controller. If the word CODE appears in odometer display for 4 seconds, followed by 900, 905, 920, 940 then 999 at 3 second intervals, go to next step. ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CODES 6. Check Chrysler Collision Detection (C 2 D) serial data bus using Diagnostic Readout Box (DRB). Disconnect battery. Check continuity from electronic instrument cluster to body controller and Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If no continuity exists, repair circuit(s) as necessary. See Fig. 4 . If continuity exists, replace body controller or PCM. 7. Press US/M button to perform next test sequence. All display segments should come on for 6 seconds, then 5 should appear in odometer display. If some segments do not come on, replace instrument cluster. 8. If all segments come on, select appropriate test and proceed as indicated. To test fuel gauge circuit, go to next step. To test cluster illumination, go to step 11). To test individual segments and speedometer/odometer symbols, go to step 14). 9. If fuel gauge reading and cluster asterisk are not flashing, check fuel level input signal at body controller. If resistance at fuel level input pin is less than 2 ohms or more than 150 ohms, check wiring and/or fuel tank sending unit. 10. If resistance at fuel level input pin is 2-150 ohms, fuel level input signal is okay. Disconnect fuel sensor input to body controller. If fuel gauge indicates empty, repair short to ground in fuel sensor Code Affected Circuit/Fault 110 Cluster Failure 900 Lack Of Messages 905 BUS Loop Failure 920 Lack Of Messages From Body Controller 921 Body Controller Odometer Failure 940 Lack Of Messages From Powertrain Control Module 999 End Of Test Page 1 of 2 INSTRUMENT PANEL -1995 Plymouth Voyager 8/11/2008 input. If fuel gauge indicates full, check wiring and/or fuel tank sending unit. If fuel gauge does not indicate full, replace body controller. Fig. 4: Identifying Instrument Cluster Connector Terminals Courtesy of CHRYSLER CORP. 11. Turn headlights on. If Transmission Range Indicator (TRI) or button module do not illuminate, check if other instrument panel components are lit. If other components are not lit, turn headlight switch off then on. If condition is still present, check headlight switch, wiring and illumination feed circuit to body controller. 12. If other components are lit, remove instrument cluster. Move slider (rheostat) to full brightness. Measure voltage at instrument cluster connector pin No. 6. If voltage is less than one volt, repair circuit as necessary. 13. If voltage is more than one volt, carefully pull instrument cluster mask 3-4" from cluster. Disconnect TRI and button module wiring harness connectors. Remove button module and PRNDL mechanism. Replace TRI bulb. Install button module and TRI. Connect wiring harness and install mask. 14. Press US/M button to perform next test sequence. Individual segments should be displayed in sequence, then 6 should appear in odometer display. If 2 or more segments are displayed (lit) simultaneously, replace instrument cluster. 15. If segments light individually, press US/M button to perform next test sequence. Speedometer and odometer symbols should be displayed in sequence, then 7 should appear in odometer display. 16. If 2 or more symbols are lit simultaneously, replace instrument cluster. If symbols light individually, instrument cluster is operating properly. Press US/M button to return instrument cluster to normal operating mode.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Cluster_1.jpg

+1
Monday, August 11th, 2008 AT 2:07 PM
ATHENAA21
Try this tonight if I can my friend over my house. He is supposed to install a luggage rack on my parents van.

I'll let you know. Y
Monday, August 11th, 2008 AT 2:40 PM