1994 PLYMOUTH COLT NO SPARK

• Mimijemi
  • 1994 PLYMOUTH COLT

1994 Plymouth Colt 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

Engine stopped running suddenly, luckily just when I was about to park in front of the building, so I had to push it only 20m. I tried to start engine couple of times, but no luck. Battery is good, gas tank full. It was sitting there for two days. Then I tried again. Engine started with no problem and I left it running. It was running not bad but not perfectly, kind of like low rpm, and with tendency to stop, which actually did after 5 min. All attempts to start it aging didn't work.

I changed plugs, distributor cap and plug cables. I removed all 4 plugs and connected one against car body, started cranking but no spark on plug. There was smell of gas coming from the engine (through open plug holes), so I suppose gas is coming to cylinders, but there is no spark to ignite.

What next should I checked and how. I am not mechanic but can do few basic things (even more if I have detailed instructions).

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Mimi

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 9:01 PM

• BMRFIXIT

Remove distributor cap crank engine check if the rotor is turning
check timing belt

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 9:12 PM