CAR WON'T START

1993 Plymouth Acclaim

klever22

June, 1, 2010 AT 5:03 PM

1993 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hello! I am looking for help with my 1993 plymouth acclaim. When the key is turned she cranks but won't start without adding starting fluid. Even then she only runs until the fluid is burned up. The fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel injector have all been replaced. The fuel makes it to the injector but is not injected, and the pressure is good up to the injector. I tested the wiring from the computer to the injector and at the injector and it works fine. I have checked the wire going to the auto-shutdown relay from the injector and it is good as well. One of the relay's wires is hot when the car is off even though that particular wire isn't supposed to be, it then gets even more electricity going through it when it cranking. I suspect either the auto-shutdown relay or a ground wire, but I'm not sure. Last august the car had been running fine (aside from needing the transmission oil changed and the knockdown(?) Bolts tightened) I parked her, turned her off, and she didn't start again. A few months ago before I replaced the fuel pump she fired up once, not sure why, then when turned off she wouldn't start again.
Any help or suggestions you can give me would be great.
Thanks!

merlin2021

June, 4, 2010 AT 6:33 PM

Start here, and we'll go from there: Is your check engine light on? If yes turn the key from off to on three times, on the fourth one leave it in the on position, count the flasshes.22 would flash as 2 blinks, then a short puase, then 2 more blinks. If several codes are stored, the pause is longer between codes, code 55 will be the last code. Do this and post all codes found. Could be a no crank reference problem, but check codes please!

klever22

June, 6, 2010 AT 1:27 PM

The only codes I get off of her is the one that says the battery was disconnected within the last 50 cycles, which it has been.

merlin2021

June, 12, 2010 AT 9:17 AM

Remove the ASD relay and check if the wire is still hot, if not try replacing/testing the relay.

klever22

June, 15, 2010 AT 1:16 PM

I have replaced the ASD relay and disconnected the negative battery cable for about 40 minutes, reattached it and tried again. I got the same result as before.

merlin2021

June, 20, 2010 AT 3:16 PM

Get an analog voltmeter remove the negative battery cable, attach the Black lead to the battery post, Red lead to cable end, then pull fuses one at a time, make sure there are no accessories or lights in the on position, Key off! Close the door after each fuse and check meter, when you pull the fuse for the bad curcuit, the meter will drop to 1 volt or so. Check all fuses, even under the hood. If meter does not drop, remove the battery connection from the alternator, if it drops now, the diodes are bad in the alternator. Put the fuse back in were it goes as you go so you don't forget which fuse goes were! This will track down which circuit needs to be checked, You may need to remove the relay center the ASD is in and inspect the wires under it.

klever22

June, 29, 2010 AT 4:27 PM

I checked the fuses, relays (both under the hood and next to the fuse box) and the battery connection to the alternator. All of them look good.

bluelightnin6

July, 13, 2010 AT 5:05 PM

Hello and thanks for donating

Just curious, have you tested and inspected closely the wiring harness for the fuel injectors themselves?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test