1993 Plymouth Acclaim car won't start

KLEVER22
  • 1993 PLYMOUTH ACCLAIM

1993 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hello! I am looking for help with my 1993 plymouth acclaim. When the key is turned she cranks but won't start without adding starting fluid. Even then she only runs until the fluid is burned up. The fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel injector have all been replaced. The fuel makes it to the injector but is not injected, and the pressure is good up to the injector. I tested the wiring from the computer to the injector and at the injector and it works fine. I have checked the wire going to the auto-shutdown relay from the injector and it is good as well. One of the relay's wires is hot when the car is off even though that particular wire isn't supposed to be, it then gets even more electricity going through it when it cranking. I suspect either the auto-shutdown relay or a ground wire, but I'm not sure. Last august the car had been running fine (aside from needing the transmission oil changed and the knockdown(?) Bolts tightened) I parked her, turned her off, and she didn't start again. A few months ago before I replaced the fuel pump she fired up once, not sure why, then when turned off she wouldn't start again.
Any help or suggestions you can give me would be great.
Thanks!

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 AT 5:03 PM

MERLIN2021

Start here, and we'll go from there:
Is your check engine light on? If yes turn the key from off to on three times, on the fourth one leave it in the on position, count the flasshes.22 would flash as 2 blinks, then a short puase, then 2 more blinks. If several codes are stored, the pause is longer between codes, code 55 will be the last code. Do this and post all codes found. Could be a no crank reference problem, but check codes please!

Friday, June 4th, 2010 AT 6:33 PM
KLEVER22

The only codes I get off of her is the one that says the battery was disconnected within the last 50 cycles, which it has been.

Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 1:27 PM
MERLIN2021

Remove the ASD relay and check if the wire is still hot, if not try replacing/testing the relay.

Saturday, June 12th, 2010 AT 9:17 AM
KLEVER22

I have replaced the ASD relay and disconnected the negative battery cable for about 40 minutes, reattached it and tried again. I got the same result as before.

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 AT 1:16 PM
MERLIN2021

Get an analog voltmeter remove the negative battery cable, attach the Black lead to the battery post, Red lead to cable end, then pull fuses one at a time, make sure there are no accessories or lights in the on position, Key off! Close the door after each fuse and check meter, when you pull the fuse for the bad curcuit, the meter will drop to 1 volt or so. Check all fuses, even under the hood. If meter does not drop, remove the battery connection from the alternator, if it drops now, the diodes are bad in the alternator. Put the fuse back in were it goes as you go so you don't forget which fuse goes were! This will track down which circuit needs to be checked, You may need to remove the relay center the ASD is in and inspect the wires under it.

Sunday, June 20th, 2010 AT 3:16 PM
KLEVER22

I checked the fuses, relays (both under the hood and next to the fuse box) and the battery connection to the alternator. All of them look good.

Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 4:27 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Hello and thanks for donating

Just curious, have you tested and inspected closely the wiring harness for the fuel injectors themselves?

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 5:05 PM