1991 Plymouth Acclaim Won't Start

DANNYO
  • 1991 PLYMOUTH ACCLAIM
My 1991 Acclaim won't start. I have no spark from coil to distributor. Changed coil. Didn't help. Any ideas?
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 11:32 AM

Hello, did you test the coil primary circuits for voltage. The positive and negative terminals, engine cranking. Is the coil wire ok? Any troublecodes?
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 11:42 AM
DANNYO
I get.0007 on both legs of coil input. Codes 12 35 32 21 55. The coil wire is ok
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 12:05 PM
Is the battery and cables ok? I didn't see anything in the codes, that might cause a no spark condition. I'd probable check the hall switch in the distributor, first. Three wire connector, ref voltage--signal-- ground, that is the rpm signal, without that signal, you get nothing.

That should be close to battery voltage at the coil and injectors, during cranking.
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 12:48 PM
DANNYO
I don't have 12v at the coil before during or after cranking. Someone told me it could be a maxi-breaker? There are 5 Maxi-breakers on the wheel well. I don't know which is for ignition. Any Ideas?
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 9:26 AM
Did you check for codes? You cycle the key, on--off, on---off, on, then the check engine lite goes to flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. When you cycle the switch, you don't crank it. Under the hood driver side, the asd relay shows to be the forward most relay. The asd relay supplies voltage to the coil--injectos--fuel pump, during cranking. You'll have to check for voltage and ground at the relay.
Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 AT 12:59 PM
DANNYO
The codes are
I get.0007 on both legs of coil input. Codes 12 35 32 21 55. The coil wire is ok what does the asd relay look like? Is it on driver side wheel well?
Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 10:32 AM
Yes, driver side wheel-well, black, maybe 1&1/4 x 1inch. Wiring color at the connector, red with white stripe--dark blue--dark green with black stripe--dark blue with yellow stripe.
Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 11:27 AM
DANNYO
After removing the wiring connector what should I read on each terminal?
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 11:35 AM
With the relay unplugged, only the dark blue and red wire would have voltage, check with the key in the crank position.

Take voltage reading across the battery post, engine cranking. You should get close to the same reading at the two wires already mentioned.
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 2:27 PM
DANNYO
Thanks ! The readings I get are:
with the ignition off I get 12.5v across battery and at the red and blue on the asd. With ignition on I get 0v at red and blue 12v across battery. With ignition off I get
0v between green term and black term. With ignition on I get 12.5v across the green and black. Does this help?
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 7:06 PM
When you say key on are saying on or cranking? These are two different key positions. The red wire with white tracer should be hot all the time, key on--off--engine cranking, whatever. The solid dark blue wire may go hot with the engine cranking, you can test key on and cranking on that wire.
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
DANNYO
On the red I get 0v with ignition on or when cranking. Thanks
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 8:02 PM
You need to be sure the battery has a full charge, the cables/wires are all clean and tight on both ends.

Backtrack the red wire, my info shows a fusible link. Check for voltage on both sides of the fusible link. If you have voltage on one side and not the other, the link is faulty. You could use a jumper just for testing, by pass the link.
Sunday, July 12th, 2009 AT 10:31 AM