Engine stalls at idle?

JESSICA WOOTERS
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I started it up and it ran for a few minutes then it shut off. Every time I start it it shakes and shuts off. Can’t move it and won’t stay running.
Saturday, February 16th, 2019 AT 9:16 AM

Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.

This can be the result of a few different things. However, I first suspect a fuel pressure issue unless the check engine light is staying on. First, take a look through this link. It discusses the most common causes of an engine to stall at idle, what to check, and how to fix. Also, here is a link that shows how to check fuel pressure:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/stall-at-idle

If that doesn't help, I suggest scanning the computer to see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes stored in the system. Here is a quick video showing how it is done:

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

I realize most people don't own a scanner, but often times a parts store will lend or rent one to you.

Next, a bad crankshaft position can act this way, too. Take a look through this link. It discusses common symptoms and the second link shows in general how one is replaced.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft-sensor

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

__________________________________________

Here are specific directions for replacing the crankshaft position sensor on your vehicle. The attached pictures correlate with these directions.

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR REPLACEMENT

picture 1

picture 2

picture 3

IMPORTANT: The CKP System System Variation Learning Procedure will need to be performed whenever the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is removed or replaced. Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
1. Remove the electrical connector.
2. Remove the sensor hold down bolt.
3. Remove the sensor from the timing cover.

NOTE: When installing or removing a crankshaft position (CKP) sensor make sure the sensor is fully seated and held stationary in the front cover before torquing the hold down bolt into the front cover. A sensor which is not seated may result in erratic operation and lead to the setting of false codes.

4. Inspect the sensor O-ring for wear, cracks or leakage. Replace if necessary. Lube the new O-ring with clean engine oil before installing.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE: Make certain that the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor mounting surfaces are clean and free of burrs before installing the CKP sensor.

1. Install the sensor into the timing cover.
2. Install the sensor hold down bolt.

Tighten
Tighten the hold down bolt to 8 Nm (71 lb in).

3. Install the electrical connector.
4. Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure.
____________________________

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn

1. Install the scan tool.
2. Apply the vehicle's parking brake.
3. Block the drive wheels.
4. Close the hood.
5. Place the vehicle's transmission in Park (AT) or Neutral (MT).
6. Idle the engine until the coolant temperature reaches 65 C (150 F).
7. Turn OFF all the accessories.

Important:If the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure cannot be completed successfully, refer to DTC P1336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned for additional diagnostic information. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > P Code Charts

8. Enable the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure with the scan tool.

Important:After the ignition switch is turned to the CRANK position, the VCM must see a change in the state of brake switch (Released to Applied) to run the learn procedure. Also, the service brakes and the parking brake must be held throughout the duration of the learn procedure.

9. Apply and hold the service brakes.

Important:While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine will respond to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

10. Slowly raise the engine speed to 4,000 RPM.
11. Immediately release the throttle when the engine speed decreases.
12. Turn OFF the ignition for 15 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

______________________________________________________

If you decide to check the fuel pressure, here are the manufacturer's specs for pressure:

FUEL PRESSURE SPECIFICATIONS
Ignition On, Engine Off .................... 415 - 455 kPa (60 - 66 psi)

For additional fuel pressure testing and specifications, refer to Fuel System Diagnosis. See: Fuel Pressure > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel System Pressure Test

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Saturday, February 16th, 2019 AT 10:52 PM
Z71_PILOT_1
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck with 5.3 wont idle right. Idles too low most of the time at start-up. Then sometimes Idles wide open at start -up. No codes
Thursday, September 3rd, 2020 AT 6:32 PM (Merged)
It sounds like a bad throttle position sensor or idle air control valve. Without a code, it a guess. Have you checked closely for vacuum leaks and intake leaks?
Z71_PILOT_1
I bought an engine from a wrecked truck, and they used the old intake because they said the newer one was damaged, I interchanged the IAC & TPS from both intakes and even changed the MAF sensor and neither fixed my problem
Was the year make and model the same?
Z71_PILOT_1
Well since ya rarely seen the host vehicle for an engine in a junk yard, all I saw was the dogouse after the truck had been disassembled. I was told it was " the same engine ". The engine and intake appeared to be identical to the old
If there is no check engine light, I bet there is an intake leak.
Z71_PILOT_1
Is that usually a difficult type leak to find/ fix?
I hate to recommend this, but with the engine running, spray starting fluid, carb cleaner. Around the intake. If there is a leak, the engine will rev up.

Note: when doing this, you are spraying a very flammable product on a hot engine. A fire can start if you hit something like an exhaust manifold. Keep a fire extinguisher near.
Z71_PILOT_1
O.K. Thanks for all ur help
Let me know what you find, and be careful.
SCAR_FACE3480
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
V8 four wheel drive automatic 200, 00 miles.

Hello, I took the air filter off the engine to look in the butterfly valve and there is no fuel in it at all. I turn the key to the on position and I can hear the noise for the gas tank running but it will turn on for a second then quickly shut off. Inside the butterfly valve I can see a little flame but no fuel please help.
If the vehicle starts then shuts off, one thought is the security system, pass-lock, fuel disable? thee guides can help su fix it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-stalls

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Please run down these guides and report back.
+8
SCAR_FACE3480
Like I said in the top of the engine the butterfly valve inside there is no fuel at all. How would I know if it is the security system?
+2
SCAR_FACE3480
How do I find out if it is the security system, pass-lock, and how can I fix this problem? I appreciate the help!
+3
Is the security light on the dash on or flashing? Also, other than TBI, you see cannot see much, by looking past the throttle valve. Check for any applicable codes.

If it is the security system, when it shuts off, leave the key on, watch the light. The light may go off after ten minutes, then turn the key off for ten seconds. Repeat the procedure twice more about thirty minutes. The next time you cycle the key, if the relearn works, it should start. If it is the security system.
+6
SCAR_FACE3480
Hey I just want to say thank you for the help! I am so frustrated called Autozone and they told me a whole bunch of things can be wrong. Hopefully it is just the security system!
+2
I understand. Hope you get it going your way.
+2
SCAR_FACE3480
How do I get trouble codes without towing it in to have it checked?
+2
At the least, you would need an obd2 code reader. The security system is just a possibility.
+1

Sponsored links