Overheating after complete cooling system replacement

JEROME EVANS
  • 1998 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY
I have recently serviced my cooling system by replacing the thermostat, water pump, hoses, coolant, radiator, viscous fan and fan blade. My issues is that my truck overheats in bumper to bumper traffic of if sitting with the engine running for an extended period of time. The system was pressure tested and checked for exhaust gases and both were negative. Can you please help. I am completely stumped.
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 6:08 AM

If there is no fan shroud on radiator then the fan cannot lock up to work. If it is boiling out of radiator/overflow then it may be a head gasket problem still. Check radiator for cold spots if any radiator is clogged.
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 8:20 AM
JEROME EVANS
Radiator is new. Car is not boiling over. Just high temperature. Looking to fix this before it gets to that point. Also, fan shroud is in place.
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 10:00 AM
KEN

When the engine is running hot can you here the engine fan engage? If so then the head gasket can still be blown even with a chemical test being negative but it is only about 75% accurate.

Please let us know.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 11:06 AM
JEROME EVANS
Truck has vicious fan that has been replaced and electric fans which kick on when the ac is on and both work and engage. It might be helpful to note that the truck was not running hot prior to the maintenance. This started after maintenance
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 11:28 AM
KEN
The first place I would start would be with the thermostat. I would get a factory unit becasue it could have a different the aftermarket guys might be missing. Did the new one look different?
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 11:44 AM
You can replace the thermostat or get the additive at auto parts for coolant it will cool it down by twenty degrees or so. Also, get a thermometer that is infra red they are pretty cheap at auto parts and see what that reads because the gauge may be off. Also if not a 50/50 mix on coolant it may be messing up your sending unit/sensor on engine.
Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 12:45 PM