Overheating

MAGICMANE
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
I had a new head installed into my car along with a thermostat. Before that I got a new water pump with timing belt and other two belts. So the reason I got a new head was due to overheating and I figured it was overheating because of the gauge rising only when I would be idle at stoplight and would decrease when I pressed the gas and minimally increased right after. It is still doing this after I just got the head a few days ago. Not sure what it could be.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 1:49 PM

SATURNTECH9
So when your driving down the road it is fine? But when your sitting at a stop light it starts tor in hot? If so, are both or your fans working on the radiator?
+1
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 2:25 PM
MAGICMANE
When I am driving down the freeway from after work like today, it will be fine. Right when I stop off the freeway the gauge will rise up. When I press the gas it will decrease, but rises slowly. Only one fan works from what I have seen.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 2:34 PM
MAGICMANE
Actually both fans are working. I just checked that.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 3:36 PM
SATURNTECH9
Are both speeds on the fans working high and low?Also if you just let sit there and idle will it actually overheat?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 4:45 PM
MAGICMANE
They both came on with the air conditioner right away, but I am not too sure if they ran both high and low. I have only seen them both at one speed. No it has not overheated when I have left it to idle l. Today after if started to overheat I left it at idle in my driveway in park and neutral it was fine. Only when I have driven for like twenty minutes it will start to overheat only in drive.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 5:52 PM
SATURNTECH9
Does the radiator fan come on around the half way mark?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:01 PM
MAGICMANE
Yes. Im pretty sure it does.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:13 PM
SATURNTECH9
I am having trouble finding information about fan operation.I work on a 2000 Honda accord and there is two speeds on that one. It does not overheat at idle? If not how high does the temperature gauge get at idle?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:21 PM
SATURNTECH9
Okay, so at idle in park how hot will the gauge get? Also it will only actually overheat if it is sitting in drive at idle for a extended period of time?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:26 PM
MAGICMANE
I am not to sure about fans myself, normally sitting in my driveway it sits normal below halfway. When it starts to overheat it will keep increasing which is when I am driving, but in idle. When I gas it, it will decrease and increase back up.
-1
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:28 PM
SATURNTECH9
I am really confused here on what is going on you said it overheats while driving at idle? I really need to know exactly what is going on with the car.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:32 PM
MAGICMANE
As of right now I am in my car in park. I drove around the block and it is sitting in idle and the fan came on two times and went off its been about fifteen to twenty minutes, but the gauge looks normal.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:32 PM
SATURNTECH9
Okay sounds about right, so if you are in drive and sit there that long does it overheat then?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:34 PM
MAGICMANE
What I mean by driving at idle is I will be at a red light and it will start to overheat. When I take off the gauge will decrease, but increase right after.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:35 PM
MAGICMANE
Yes that is basically how it happens when I am in drive. That is the only time I have seen it overheat is in drive.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:36 PM
SATURNTECH9
Alright sounds like there is not enough air getting pulled through the radiator by the fan. I have seen this before on another car not a Honda. It was in a drive through in drive this was happening. It turned out the radiator had a lot of sand debris and what looked like cat fur restricting the air flow through radiator.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:40 PM
MAGICMANE
So should I try flushing out the radiator and putting in new coolant? If that does not work, replace the radiator?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:45 PM
SATURNTECH9
I am talking the fins of the radiator not allowing air to pass through the radiator. Not coolant inside the radiator.
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:51 PM
MAGICMANE
Gotcha. So what would you suggest?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 6:52 PM
SATURNTECH9
First thing I would do is see how much air is blowing out of the radiator fans with them on?
Thursday, July 14th, 2016 AT 7:43 PM