Over heating issue!

TRAYWRONG
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
At first my car started overheating, I automatically assumed it was the head gasket but when I check the oil it wasn't whitish or watery, so I took it to a mechanic who said that I needed a new sensor and thermostat. After, replacing both my car continued to overheat then it started to leak coolant from the water pump area, so I replaced the water pump. Then I went to test drive it and it overheated so I returned to the mechanic who said I needed a new radiator. I currently replaced the radiator last Friday and it continuos to overheat! Could anybody suggest what's wrong with my car, instead of me spending a ton of money on unnecessary parts.
Monday, December 21st, 2015 AT 6:02 PM

First of all, under what conditions does the overheating occur? Speeds, how long does it take, etc. Do you hear the radiator fan turning on?

Milky oil is not the most common result of a leaking cylinder head gasket. Coolant getting into an oil passage won't result in overheating. It's much more common for coolant to get sucked into the combustion chamber and burned. You'll be losing coolant and you might see white smoke from the tail pipe.

There's two tests you can do to verify a leaking head gasket. If you're losing coolant very slowly, add a small bottle of dark purple dye to the coolant, then search a day later with a black light. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you can follow back to the source. If you find it inside the tail pipe, suspect the head gasket.

You can also have your mechanic perform a chemical test at the radiator. With the engine running, you draw air from the radiator through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are present, the liquid will turn bright yellow.
Monday, December 21st, 2015 AT 7:03 PM
JOHNNYT73
Are you sure you burped all the air out of the system? Do you have heat out of the vents at idle?
Monday, December 21st, 2015 AT 7:32 PM
TRAYWRONG
@Caradiodoc it overheats either way when drive or when parked (with the engine on). Before I got everything replaced it wouldn't take long but now I can make it out of my neighborhood. I forgot to mention I watched it for white smoke and leaked at the tail pipe, didn't see any but a little coolant leaking.
@JohnnyT73 I'm not sure if they burped all the air out of the system and nope, no heat just cool air.
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015 AT 8:18 AM
JOHNNYT73
If you do not have heat at idle then you are either low on coolant or you still havery air in the system. Remove the pressure cap to the radiator. Start engine with heat on. Top off with coolant. Let it run tI'll it warms up. I think you shold have one or two 8mm bleeder screws. One at the thermostat area and the other on the bypass pipe near the valve cover. Open them up and raise the rpm to about 2500 and hold it for about 5 seconds (you will have to do that a few times). Keep your eye on the coolant level in the radiator and temp reading. Continue to add coolant till you see a steady stream come out of the bleeder screw(s) then snug them down. Check to make sure you have heat at idle. Top off coolant and you should be good to go.
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015 AT 9:24 AM
TRAYWRONG
Hey sorry for the late response I've been busy working. Okay I did all of that and the heat came on and went back to blowing cool air. I just noticed my drivers side fan doesn't work. Would that be the fan for the a/c or the fan for the radiator? Also this mechanic suggested it might be the intake manifold gasket, but it's no symptoms of it (but overheating)
Monday, December 28th, 2015 AT 8:41 PM