1995 OLDSMOBILE SILHOUETTE RANDOM STALLING / NO START / SLU

• tr_nut74
  • 1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette

1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

Van is sometimes hard to start ( will turn over, fire and sputter for a few seconds and then stall ) and I ALWAYS have to turn the key back to " off" and then back on before recranking for it to fire back up. I've tried recranking without first turning the key to OFF and it NEVER has fired up ( IT WILL crank over, but not fire up until the key is " cycled".

Some mornings ( even with turning the key off, then on) I end up running the battery flat trying to get the car started. Some mornings, it starts on the first or second try. The problem is very intermittent - last week it didn't happen at all, but now this week it has happened every day. It probably stalled a dozen times yesterday - just in my 5 mile commute home from work!

Even once it's started, the van will often suddenly cutout and then usually come back on. Sometimes the van stalls - and you probably guessed already - I have to turn the key off and then back on before it will restart. I've also noticed on a couple occasions that when the van is running and it cuts out, that the SPEEDOMETER often " jumps". Not sure if that's a clue or not. ANY IDEA what might be going on?

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 2:00 PM