1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette Random stalling / no start / slu

TR_NUT74
  • 1995 OLDSMOBILE SILHOUETTE

1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

Van is sometimes hard to start ( will turn over, fire and sputter for a few seconds and then stall ) and I ALWAYS have to turn the key back to "off" and then back on before recranking for it to fire back up. I've tried recranking without first turning the key to OFF and it NEVER has fired up ( IT WILL crank over, but not fire up until the key is "cycled".

Some mornings ( even with turning the key off, then on) I end up running the battery flat trying to get the car started. Some mornings, it starts on the first or second try. The problem is very intermittent - last week it didn't happen at all, but now this week it has happened every day. It probably stalled a dozen times yesterday - just in my 5 mile commute home from work!

Even once it's started, the van will often suddenly cutout and then usually come back on. Sometimes the van stalls - and you probably guessed already - I have to turn the key off and then back on before it will restart. I've also noticed on a couple occasions that when the van is running and it cuts out, that the SPEEDOMETER often "jumps". Not sure if that's a clue or not. ANY IDEA what might be going on?

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 2:00 PM