Hello - Thomas
If you do need to get back with us please let me know if the 8th digit of your VIN is N as this is what I used and matched what you provided.
It really doesn't look that bad. Not sure where you got the info on that. I have attached the directions.
Service and Repair
Upon removal of starter, note if any shims are used. If shims are used, they should be reinstalled in their original location during installation.
If starter is noisy during cranking, remove one.015 inch double shim or add one.015 inch single shim to the outer bolt. If starter makes a high pitched whine after firing, add.015 inch double shims until noise ceases.
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Raise and support vehicle.
3. Remove flywheel cover attaching bolts, then the cover.
4. Disconnect all electrical wires from starter.
5. Remove starter motor attaching bolts, then the motor by rotating the solenoid side toward the vehicle.
6. Reverse procedure to install. Torque starter attaching bolts to 32 ft. Lbs. And inspection cover bolts to 89 inch lbs.
Hope this helps.
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 2:29 PM