1992 Oldsmobile Ciera car stalling problems

LIONHART40
  • 1992 OLDSMOBILE CIERA
When I am driving my car will stall, but lights and radio and everything else works, there is no warning when it stalls, just all the dash warning lights come on like they do when you are starting car. The car will start right after you stop and sit a minute or two. I have no ecm code faults coming up, the computer is new, just installed, couple days ago, thought that fixed problem but no luck, any help would be very helpful.
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 5:28 AM

RACEFAN966
Have you replaced the ignition module? This is where the 3 coils are bolted to. Looks like this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_101553_1.jpg

Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 5:38 PM
LIONHART40
No Havent tried that yet, is there a way to test it before spending alot of money on a new one to check if it is bad?
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 6:00 PM
RACEFAN966
Do you have an auto zone near you? If you do pull it off and take it to them they can test it and tell you if it is bad or not. Then you not waisting you time.
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 6:21 PM
LIONHART40
I had the ignition module check and still have stalling issue. Could it be the catalytic converter?
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 10:26 AM
LIONHART40
Ignition moduler checked out to be good, could it be the catalytic converter?
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 10:27 AM
RACEFAN966
No I don't think it could be a catalytic converter. When they go bad it runs fine cold then when the car is at full operating temp. they loose power badly and may eventually die but not like you shut it off. Have you checked the crank position sensor at all? Here is what it looks like.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_50476_1.jpg

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 10:32 PM
LIONHART40
No I havent checked it, wouldnt a code come up for that, I get no codes at all.
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 8:13 PM
RACEFAN966
Not alway's does will it set a code it just depends on the situation. Just for questions sake has the fuel pressure been checked? If so what was the pressure?
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 9:54 AM
COPYCAT60
Just wanted to give you my problem fix. I have a 1988 ciera that was doing the same thing. Almost caused an accident doing this. I had it to several dealers and mechanics and had everything replaced like tps, iac, cat. Conv, fuel filter, the computer and software chip, plugs and plug wires, coil pack and torque convert clutch solenoid. What a grocery list huh? I asked about the egr valve and was told that it WAS NOT popping any codes. This was from at least 3 mechanics. FINALLY I found an sort of retired GM trouble shooter who is in business for himself now. First thing he found was that the dealer who istalled the computer and software chip in put the WRONG chip in it. After fixing this he drove it around and it stalled on him. It took a few days for this to happen. His computer saw a code for a problem I dont remember what but there was a tsb(technical service bulletin) that a hidden problem for that code was the egr valve. He replaced the erg and it has been STALL FREE since he installed it. This is going on 2 yrs+ now. Needless to say. He is my mechanic fulltime now and he is very reasonable. Hope this helps.
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 3:41 PM