CAR LOST POWER AS DRIVING AND WOULDN

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

harriskathy39

April, 1, 2010 AT 1:30 AM

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98,000 miles

I was driving home tonite and the car all of a sudden lost power and started going slower and slower. It went from 65 to about 35 and I could have pushed the accelerator all the way to the floor but I could tell it wouldn't make it go any more than 5 to 10 miles faster at the most. The power was decreased by at least 80% I think. Going up hill it really slowed down. When I got on the flat again it speeded up a little (10-20 miles faster) and I headed for an exit then. It stopped fine at stop signs and started going again fine but there was no power when you stepped on the accelerator except: pushing on it at a normal level would only make it go at a slower rate than normal with it getting up to the speede limit of 35 but it took longer and again, no power. It feels like it wont go at a speed over 45 or so and definiteoly won't go uphill at a speed over 35. It sounds OK but a little " empty" sounding. No real audible engine noise that I recall. I need help fast ! I have to go to work in the AM and its' 25 miles away by freeway ! I'm broke too so if I can fix it myself, that may be the only way I can get it fixed.
Can anyone help me please?

Jacobandnickolas

April, 9, 2010 AT 7:17 AM

Have you checked the catylatic converter to make sure it isn't plugged? Has the check engine light come on?

Let me know.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford