2003 Oldsmobile Alero turn signal switch

ALEROOWNER
  • 2003 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
2003 Oldsmobile Alero 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

The only problem I am having is the turn signal indicator noise stays on and clicks all the time. Since the indicator switch is rather expensive, is there anyway to just disconnect the wire to the "clicker" part. I wondered if the connection wire bundles have a dedicated wire for that function?
Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 4:46 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for the donation!

The "click" noise comes from the flasher. The flasher is most likely at fault here and is built into the hazard switch on the dash. Cutting a wire to the hazard switch will cause issues with the hazard lamps as well as the signal lamps. Best bet is to have the hazard switch replaced. Try finding one at a local salvage yard or on eBay. Com to cut the repair costs down some.
Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 11:44 PM
ALEROOWNER
A GM mechanic gave me the following response, "This issue is very common and is caused by worn contacts in the turn signal switch. This is very easy to change and only requires the upper steering column trim to be removed. There is a single screw and 3 connectors.". I'm very confused now. I'm trying to avoid paying a large repair bill for such a minor problem. But, obviously, the two answers are nothing alike. What's the best bet?
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 12:05 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
I searched all recalls and TSB (techincal service bulletin) on your vehicle and found nothing about this issue yesterday. However, I did more research from owner experiences and it does seem to be a common problem with these Aleros. My first answer steered you in a wrong direction, I do apologize for that. The fix for this, from what I have researched, does seem to be faulty connectors in the signal switch, not the hazard switch.
+1
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 12:29 PM