2003 Oldsmobile Alero Car Won't Start When Hot Outside - -

BANJOZACH
  • 2003 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
2003 Oldsmobile Alero 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160K miles

2003 Oldsmobile Alero
2 Door
2.2L Ecotek

Ok. My car won't start when its above a certain temperature outside (around 85 or 90 Degrees F). Here is what I know so far:

*The fuel pump is good, however doesn't come on when I turn my key to "On". I know this because my car will run at night when its cool.

*I can turn my key off and on and cannot here the fuel pump kicking in.

*When fuel pump does come on, fuel pressure is great.

*Tried replacing fuel pump relay and PCM. Still no go.

* When it doesn't start, I can also here the fuel pump buzzing like crazy. I have switched relays around (relays I know are good), and they all do the same thing in the fuel pump relay spot.

*If I sit with the doors open for about 15 minutes (allowing the inside of the car to cool down), I can usually get the pump to come on, after cycling the key from off to on a few times.

*Problem is NOT type or level of fuel related. I've been buying the same gas from the same place, as well as other places, and the problem has occured on a full tank, half tank, and quarter tank.

*No engine codes. I've had the best mechanics in town working on this. Plugged in a very nice diagnostic computer, and saw the following while cranking:
*Engine RPMs normal
*Fuel Pump Relay Command is staying off.

Thats the problem right there. My computer isn't telling my fuel pump to come on. The mechanics even put a jumper on my fuel pump and it turned on and the car ran fine. What is causing my computer to not tell my pump relay to not power the pump? I don't think it is a Passlock Problem, as my light on my dash blinks like normal. I have also tried the old "leave the key on for 10 min to reset the security system" trick and still no go. I have even disconnected my battery before and left it for about 10 minutes to reset the computer, and still no go.
Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Suspect PassLock sensor problem in ignition. Due to heat related and cycling key. When it won't start see if there is injector pulse.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 12:34 PM
BANJOZACH
If the Passlock Sensor has a problem, would that cause the Passlock light on my radio to flash in any way but normal? What im trying to say, is that my Anti-Theft light blinks normaly. If I get out of the car, lock it, unlock it, and get back in, the light blinks about every 4 or 5 seconds. Which it has always done that. Will a problem with the Passlock Sensor make the light blink abonormally?

And Ill have my mechanic check for the injector pulse. Its going back to the shop on thursday.

One last thing. Is there any explanation for the noisy fuel pump relay? When the car wont start, the relay buzzes pretty loud.
Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM
DOCFIXIT
Poor ground at pump will cause high amp draw
Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 4:03 PM
SYNTHLIGHT
I have the exact same problem. Same year, same model of car. Did you figure out how to fix it? Let me know. My email is initialgdw@gmail. Com

Thanks : )
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 2:52 PM
BANJOZACH
My problem seemed to resolve itself. We had the relay out again that week, and it hasnt done it since. The ONLY thing I can think of is possible corrosion in the fuel pump relay terminal. Make sure your relay is good, buy some dielectric grease at your local automotive store (got mine at Autozone), smear it on the relay prongs/contacts, and replace. Personally, I haven't done this, but as long as my car is running, im not going to fool with the relay.
Monday, May 30th, 2011 AT 1:21 AM