2000 Oldsmobile Alero engine stops running after it has sta

MARKSMANBBS
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
2000 Oldsmobile Alero 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

heres the run down;was driveing the car then parked for a few minutes, went to start again and all it would do is it starts up and runs for about 5 to 10 seconds, I went through the prosses of elimination, the security light is not flashing but it stays on with all the other dash lights, the fuel pump has 55 psi pressure and it only drops by 5 psi, I did the 10 minute wait thing a bunch of times and I did the disconnect the yellow wire on the switch, I even removed both door panels and tied the 2 wires together to what I thought might be the alarm, so heres what im comming up with so far:the fuel pump seems to be fine but if I remove the small hose that is on top of the throttle body between the air filter and the throttle when I spray carborator cleaner in there after or during starting the car it will stay running as long as I keep spraying the carb cleaner in the hole in the hose between the filter and the throttle control, what could it be that is shutting down the flow of fuel to the intake?Is there a sensor that can be jumped, something is shutting down the flow of fuel to the engine, the fuel pump stays running, another way I can keep it running is by after starting it as long as I turn it off and quickly turn it back on and keep turning the key switch on and off it will stay running, (edit)i am now going to try the yellow wire thing again I believe I was cutting the wrong one, I cut the small yellow wire that is on the key ignition switch, I am goin to try the one that is in the steering colum the female 3D, if I dont get any help on here I will eventually figure out how to get this 2000 alero to stay running without spending a fortune and if not it will be turned into lawn ornament
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 3:34 PM

You mentioned it held pressure. Are you sure the injectors are getting power? Also, the security light should shut when you turn the key to start. Is it staying on the entire time?
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 9:39 PM
MARKSMANBBS
[quote="Jacobandnickolas"]You mentioned it held pressure. Are you sure the injectors are getting power? Also, the security light should shut when you turn the key to start. Is it staying on the entire time?[/Quote
the injectors get power to start it then after it starts up it shuts down, im geussing the security is shutting it down after it starts (because of the timeing of when initial question was asked) I have tryed other trial and errors, I now have the ingnition switch out and its pretty much destroyed but it still works, I pulled all the timbler keys out and lost all the little springs, but I can still start it as usual, but by asking if the injectors are getting power it brings me to the notion to try to hot wire power to them(any idears?)But yes that im believeing now is where the problem is I just need to figure out what is telling the injectors to shut down, also yes the security light stays on, its been some time and as it stands its now just sitting behind the garage and may end up being a parts doner, but I will keep trying, I cant afford to put hundreds of dollars into something that wont cure the problem as many other folks have done
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 10:55 PM
It sounds like the security system. The only suggestion is to have it checked at a dealer. Without the proper test equipment, you'll drive yourself crazy.
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 6:57 AM
MARKSMANBBS
Your absolutely correct, This is one for the back burner until spring now, thanks
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 9:56 PM