2000 Oldsmobile Alero check engine light

SKIERTAHOE
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
My check engine light is on with the error code of:
P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

It's been on for a almost a year. I would put fuel injector cleaner in the gas and the light would go away, now it stays on all of the time. I replaced the water pump in January. It's time for the registration and the light is on continually. I asked the auto store what would be related to the error code and they said it might be the smog pump. I replaced the smog pump and the EGR valve last week. I cleared the error codes and drove it for over 100 miles. The light has come on again.

Would you know anything else that might be failing? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dave Lindsey
Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 7:06 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok this code is related to the air pump but is an air flow problem. So what I need to know is if the P0410 is the only code or is P0412 and or P0418 also present? Get back to me and we will go from there.
Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM
SKIERTAHOE
That was the only one showing on the reader. The auto shop did not help me with it, so I don't know I needed to page down or something, as I was unfamiliar with the device
Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 7:27 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok then I need you to check the air pump relay in the under hood fuse relay box. It is relay number 10 and check fuse number 6 it is a 30 amp. I also need you to check the auto transmission fuse in this same underhood fuse box. It is a 10 amp and it is number 38. Let me know what you find here and we will go from there.
Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 7:51 PM
SKIERTAHOE
Very cool. Maxi Fuse #6 (30 amp) is blown. I will be replacing it. What the most reliable way to check a relay? Will I need to reset the error codes after I replace the fuse, or will it clear on its own? Thanks, I'll get back to you after the fuse replacement.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM
RACEFAN966
After replacing the fuse make sure to clear codes and let me know how it goes and we will take it from there. Thanks.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
SKIERTAHOE
I replaced fuse #6 (30 amp maxi) and the relay. I cleared the codes and drove it around 70 miles. The check engine light came on and I took the car to the dealer. They replaced the same blown fuse and the mechanic said he ran the ump remotely with his service monitor and had no problem. Is there something that might be shorting the fuse, or would the new pump be bad? I have not had a chance to drive the car another 70 miles to see if the new fuse will hold. I should have that done tomorrow.
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 6:05 PM
RACEFAN966
If it blows again then get back to me and I will look over the wiring diagram and see how it is routed and see what else might be causing this to happen.
Friday, May 15th, 2009 AT 8:34 AM
SKIERTAHOE
Ok thanks again. So far it is holding. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he reset the codes. I drove the car about 70 miles this morning and the fuse held. I took it back to the dealer and he smogged it and also mentioned that 2 monitors had not registered yet, the EVAP and the EGR. It was around 70 miles after I replaced the fuse the last time that it blew, so we'll see how it goes. I was able to smog it, so that's the main thing I needed done. Thanks again and I will get back to you if the check engine light comes on again.
Friday, May 15th, 2009 AT 3:31 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok great so far glad to hear that. If there is anymore problems just ask. Thanks again.
Saturday, May 16th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
SKIERTAHOE
It's still holding. Still don't know why the fuse blew. But not worried now. Thanks again.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 11:45 PM
RACEFAN966
Great glad to hear it. I wouldn't worry about it either seems weird but cars can be that way sometimes. Thanks for the update.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 10:19 AM