Oil pressure warning light keeps flashing red with three long beeps while driving

AYMAN123
  • 2004 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

The oil pressure warning light keeps flashing red with three long beeps while driving when the temperature near or at operating temperature and it disappears for a while and then comes again I had this problem for 6 months the sensor and the electric wires are working good I don't know what to do.

Sunday, November 10th, 2013 AT 2:04 PM

I think you should check the engine oil level and then change it if it has been a while. Here is a guide to ehlp you get the job done

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-change-engine-oil-and-filter

This this doesn't work you need to check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, It could be just the sensor needs to be replaced if the pressure is good.

If the pressure is low remove the oil pan and check the pick-up screen to see if it is clogged with debris / coked oil deposits which happens when you don't change your oil.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers

+13
Sunday, November 10th, 2013 AT 5:23 PM
AYMAN123

No I did not check it with a mechanical gauge. Thanks I will try that.

Thursday, November 14th, 2013 AT 1:24 PM

By checking it with a mechanical gauge, we will know if the pressure is really getting too low or if there us a sensor issue. Let me know what you find.

+2
Thursday, November 14th, 2013 AT 3:18 PM
AYMAN123

I checked it with a mechanical gauge and the pressure is getting low.
The engine vibrates when it is idle and the exhaust gases are getting out intermittently like tof tof tof not smooth is this related.

+1
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 2:22 PM

What is the oil pressure at an idle?

+2
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 3:42 PM
AYMAN123

The oil pressure 25 at idle

-1
Sunday, November 17th, 2013 AT 1:16 PM

If you have 25psi at an idle, that is actually okay. It should increase if you rev the engine. Based on what you are telling me, it sounds like you have a bad oil pressure switch.

+2
Monday, November 18th, 2013 AT 5:22 PM
KELLY MOORE2
  • 2007 VOLKSWAGEN POLO
  • TURBO

I was driving to work and I felt a bit of a bump but did not think much of it, then a red flashing oil light came on on the dash. I parked it up and after work went to drive it home. When I turned on the car it seemed normal and the oil light was gone but the engine was very cold and the car was juttering. As I was driving the red oil light came back on and a very loud metallic noise was coming from the engine. I drove about one kilometer and the car lost all power and the engine cut out. I could not restart the car. I checked the oil and the oil level was perfect. I had to get it towed away. Now I am worried that an oil pump or something failed and caused my engine to seize. Any ideas?

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 AT 1:25 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

Yep it sounds like the oil pump lost pressure and the engine seized up. Here is a guide that will help you understand what happened.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/high-or-low-engine-oil-pressure

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

MARC19731
  • 2008 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

1.4 TDI. When the engine is cold I turn the ignition, start the engine and the amber oil warning light is flashing 4 0r 5 times then go's out. This has only started happening. I changed the oil & filter and also went through the sequnce to turn the service light off. Amber light still flashing. Only happens when engine is cold not when it has been run for a few seconds.

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge if its within specs-could be the oil pressure switch acting up

SPARKYB
  • 2004 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

2004 Volkswagen Polo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 40000 miles

My car was serviced 1 year ago during which I have done about 2,000 miles. The oil warning light has come on. Should I just top up the oil level or should I take it to the VW dealer for a checkup?

1st check the oil level if okay -if you wish use a mechanical gauge hook it up where the oil pressure switch is -you have to remove the switch then install the gauge and start the car up and read the pressure if normal replace the oil pressure switch abnormal could mean oil pump and engine bearings.

+1
CALBI
  • 2004 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

2 days ago my polo red oil lamp starts flickering repeatedly. I did serviced a month ago and had the car reset. There's also a white liqiud on the dipstick its not water what can it be? Espesialy when the car is cold! Plz hlp

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 AT 1:26 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT

White liquid would be coolant is it on bottom of stick?

CRIMLEY
  • 1999 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

A new fan was fitted (after market part) it damaged the radiator the engine over heated the gauge didnt come up. After 2hour of driving I stop. When I started the car it made a havy grinding, knocking sound. Smoke came out of the oil fill cap when I removed it. The car was parked for 9 days and was starting fine and sound is gone. I fitted a new radiator and fan (from agents) now the only problem is the oil light. When I switch the ignition on the oil light flickers untill I start the car then it goes off. Polo playa 1.6i 1999 Please help its worrying me. Have drove the car only around the block so far at 80km/h and running good.

-1

The oil warning light should be on bright and steady when the engine is not running. If it's flickering there is a bad connection related to the sending unit circuit. Most often it is due to a bad contact inside the sending unit itself but there could be a poor contact in the electrical connector too. Disconnect the wire from the sending unit, then use a small jumper wire to ground the terminal. If the light is on bright and steady, replace the sending unit. If the light is still flickering there's a problem in the wiring.

RONSIM100
  • 2006 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

These are the changes that I have already made. This occured out of the blue as I was driving a week ago. I stopped the car immediately
Changed oil pressure switch
Changed oil filter
Changed oil
Changed oill pump

SATURNTECH9

Have you checked the actual oil pressure with a gauge yet?

-1
HELENSANDS09
  • 1997 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

My oil light is coming on when I have been going long distance on the motorways but has been fine driving round the town and long distance in the country, what could be causing this? It has now started making a ticking noise while it's driving too?