Oil pressure gauge is erratic and a lifter is ticking, but my oil level is normal?

ETHAN_AGAN
  • 1993 FORD THUNDERBIRD
  • RWD
2 days ago I replaced the spark plugs in my car, and then yesterday evening I started hearing this ticking, which I think to be the drivers side lifter, and I noticed my oil pressure gauge was erratic. When I would go up or down a hill, around a curve, or when coming to a stop my oil pressure gauge would drop to low and the 'check gauges' light would come on, then as I would start driving it would return to the normal range and the light would go off. I am not sure what the problem is, could it be the oil pump or what?
Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 AT 7:06 AM

Check oil pressure with a manual gauge it may be the sending unit bad
+1
Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 AT 2:21 PM
MR. LIFTER TICKING MIGHT BE ANNOYING, BUT NOT UNCOMMON. WE WILL DEAL WITH THAT IN A BIT.

WE CAN MAKE THIS A RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE TEST OR FIX

SOME PEOPLE JUST GO OUT AND BY A NEW OIL SENDING UNIT (AS IT COULD BE BAD) AND THIS MIGHT BE THE FIX

OTHERS WANTING SOME "PEACE OF MIND" TO WHETHER THE PRESSURE IS NONE/ LOW/ ERRATIC MIGHT TEMPORARILY INSTALL A MECHANICAL GAUGE TO SEE WHAT THE "REAL DEAL IS". A MECHANICAL GAUGE IS MORE ACCURATE THAN AN ELECTRIC ONE.

TO CHECK PRESSURE WITH A MECHANICAL GAUGE---YOU UN-SCREW THE PRESENT OIL SENDING UNIT, THEN SCREW IN THE ADAPTER FOR THE MECHANICAL GAUGES HOSE/ TUBE

I GOT HOMEMADE, RATHER HOME ASSEMBLED GAUGE ON A PLASTIC TUBE----I CAN RUN IT UNDER THE HOOD OR THRU A HOLE IN MY FIREWALL, THEN SET IT ON THE DASH OR IN THE SEAT BESIDE ME WHILE I DRIVE.

YOU CAN BUY A "UNDER DASH" UNIT AND USE IT TEMPORARY LIKE MINE----OR YOU COULD MOUNT IT PERMANENTLY. IF YOU PICKED OUT A REALLY PERTTY ONE! YOU COULD EVEN INSTALL A "TEE" AT THE ENGINE AND RUN YOUR ORIGINAL GAUGE AS WELL AS THE MECHANICAL ONE AT THE SAME TIME.

THIS LINK SHOWS A CHEAP UNDER THE DASH MOUNT, OR USE IT AS A PORTABLE TEST GAUGE

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_style-line-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge--white-dial-sunpro_9030005-p?searchTerm=oil+pressure+gauge

SHOULD YOUR PRESSURE BE RUNNING GOOD NUMBERS LIKE IT SHOULD WITH THE MECHANICAL GAUGE. (YOUR MIND MIGHT BE AT EASE KNOWING THE REAL DEAL, LIKE IT WOULD FOR ME!) YOUR REAL ORIGINAL PROBLEM NOW LIES WITH THE OIL SENDER, THE OIL GAUGE, OR EVEN THE WIRING IN-BETWEEN.

ONCE AGAIN, THE SENDER IS CHEAP ENOUGH, AND EZist TO REPLACE

I HAVE MECHANICAL OIL AND MECHANICAL TEMPERATURE GAUGES ON BOTH OF MY JEEPS.

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

PIC OF MY OIL PRESSURE TEST GAUGE BELOW

+1
Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 AT 2:44 PM