O2 SENSORS GO BAD HOW DOES IT EFFECT CARS PERFORMANCE?

• Jessica Rehder
  • 2000 NISSAN MAXIMA

Car was hesitating and acted as if it was not getting enough fuel. Cars catalyst converter has been gutted out and put back in vehicle

Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 6:09 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

To protect myself, I have to start by saying federal law prohibits what was done to the converter. Now, since the converter isn't functional, the O2 sensors can't work properly. Basically, they tell the computer what type of pollutants are being put into the air by measuring the temp and conditions of the exhaust gases. Based on what the sensors say, the computer will compensate by making the fuel mixture richer or leaner. Now, if the computer thinks they are not working, it can go into what is called a closed loop. At that point, it makes the fuel mixture as rich as it can just so you can make it home or to a shop.

With that said, you mentioned that it feels like it isn't getting enough fuel. Have you checked the fuel pressure to make sure it is within the manufacturer's specs?

Sunday, June 1st, 2014 AT 8:20 PM

Other Oxygen Sensor O2 Questions