Not returning error codes

WAVERLYWAY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My car runs good, has a lot of miles on it but am unable to get an inspection sticker as it is only returning four out of seven codes. They require all codes returned one way or the other to get an inspection sticker in this state. I replaced the computer and there are no known fuses bad. Driven the car over 4,000 miles. Still only four codes returned. Is there another possibility?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 11:26 AM

STEVE W.
Try this drive cycle and see if the monitors run. Keep in mind that there can be codes stored in memory that will prevent the monitor tests from running. Can the scan tool you have read all the codes? Which monitors are not set? I am guessing Cat, Evap, O2 heater?

1- Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 122 F and within 11 F of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2- Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better.

3- Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until fifty five mph is reached.

4- Hold a steady speed of fifty five mph for three minutes.

5- Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift or touch the brake. It is important to let the vehicle coast along while slowing down to about twenty mph.

6- Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until fifty five to sixty mph. This will perform the same
diagnostics as in step three.

7- Hold a steady speed of fifty five mph for five minutes. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take five complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8- Decelerate. Again, do not press the brakes or shift gears.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 12:34 PM