No tail light on right side

BIGALLOYMAN
  • 2003 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE
My tail lights were out and when I went to change the bulb the lens unit was filed with water. I found a crack on the lens so I put new bulbs in, but only the top brake light works no tail or back up lights.
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 4:38 PM

STEVE W.
The water may have gotten into the wiring itself and caused the harness to fail or the sockets to corrode internally. The harness is an easy plug and play replacement item.
+1
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 3:25 AM
BIGALLOYMAN
Thank you, the tail lights worked a week earlier. Could all that damage have happened in that short of time frame? Should I check for power just before the socket and maybe just change the socket? The reason is it would take me about a week to get the part delivered. Is there a quick fix so I do not get a ticket for no taillight on my way to work?
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 6:02 AM
STEVE W.
The wires may have been corroded for a while and just failed now. You can just change the sockets if you wish.

Back-up lamps are + light green and - black.

Tail light will be + brown or brown with white stripe (depends on option package) and - black.
+1
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 7:38 AM
BIGALLOYMAN
Thanks again I just ordered new lights lens w/ harnesses
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 11:07 AM
STEVE W.
No problem, Test the wires and see what you find. There is a junction block that the harness plugs into that sometimes causes trouble but I doubt that's your issue.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 2:31 PM
BIGALLOYMAN
Thanks I thought about that, I was going to replace it just in case. My voltage when tail lights were on was 1.6 volts.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 5:57 PM
STEVE W.
Both sides are fed from a common point inside that junction block so if one side is working the other side "should" get the same voltage. But corrosion and crud seems to love getting into these things and causing problems. When you put it all together apply some dielectric grease to the terminals to cut down on that issue.

Post back when you get it back together.
+1
Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 9:50 AM
BIGALLOYMAN
Thanks i'll try that
Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 2:28 PM
KEN
Please let us know what happens so it will help others

Best, Ken
+1
Friday, January 27th, 2017 AT 1:40 AM