No start and possibly fuel pump

• 6 POSTS
  • 2006 FORD F-150

Hi there, I have a read a few things on this site about no start and also found a thread on the fuel pump driver module but I am new to this so got myself a bit lost so please bare with me.

Power from the battery definitely. Lights work, radio works, and just to be sire I tried jumping the truck and it changed nothing.

I have not tested the spark plugs as I have only heard nightmare stories about this trucks spark plugs and do not want to cause any more issues. Not sure if it is possible to test them without removing them.

I did the listening to the fuel pump test at the filler cap and heard no sound. I checked the fuse and tge fuse is good. Nect to the fuse when the key was turned there was a click sound from the fuse board somewhere. Whilst I was there I checked the red fuel cutoff button and it was pressed still.

I bought a multimeter today so I can check voltage and resistance (although I have never used one before) and from doing some Google searches I have heard there can be a problem with the fuel pump driver module song would like tk be able to check that too.

Is this all anything you can give advise with? I know it is a lot, but I am really avoiding the shop because of some money troubles.

Thank you,

Friday, October 28th, 2016 AT 5:04 PM

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can only be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem is not present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That is what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the information required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the positive terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Friday, October 28th, 2016 AT 6:04 PM