No spark, need to test the pick up unit in the distributor

PAUL GOGOLACK
  • 1995 JEEP WRANGLER
How do I test the pick up unit in the distributor?
Monday, January 16th, 2017 AT 12:38 PM

Replace it. I normally never approve of throwing random parts at a problem in hopes one will solve it, but if you have done the diagnostic steps that led to this as a suspect, replace it. We don't have customer's time and money to waste on testing parts.

There is no practical way to test a three-wire position sensor on the job. Fortunately the Engine Computer does that for you. If you have a diagnostic fault code related to a missing signal, suspect the sensor referenced in the code. Often this, and the crankshaft position sensor do not set a fault code just from cranking the engine. They may only set while a stalled engine is coasting to a stop. If the battery was recently disconnected, any fault codes would have been erased. Then you need a scanner to view live data and look at those two sensors. They will be listed with some type of indication as to whether the signals are showing up at the computer.
-1
Monday, January 16th, 2017 AT 3:45 PM
WRENCHTECH
Hi Doc,
If you do not have a lab scope and know how to use it, then I would agree with Doc. This is actually the Cam sensor and it is not even bolted in. It just sits under the distributor cap so it would be pretty simple to try another one.
This engine does not really have a pickup coil. The Crank sensor is at the left rear of the engine.
Monday, January 16th, 2017 AT 4:18 PM