No rear brakes

CONNIE PILATZ
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I had a bad rear brake line, changed it, wheel cylinders, shoes and spring kits. Also changed the master cylinder. Bled the brakes three times (yes, I know how) still no rear brakes. Bleeding process went as planned with fluid squirting as it should. Bought the tool to hold the proportioning valve centered. Still no rear brakes. Could the proportioning valve be bad?
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 1:27 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon,

It sounds like you still have air in the system.

I would rent a pressure bleeder, not a vacuum bleeder, and force out all the air in the system. With the length of the truck, it is difficult to get all the air out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 4:37 PM
CONNIE PILATZ
One other thing, the "Red Brake Light" is now on the dash, it lit up after the bleeding process. It was never on prior to that. Could you share the bleed order if you have time. We did Right Rear then Left Rear then Right Front then Left Front. We also bench bled the master before installing. Is there something else? There is no fluid leaks anywhere as well. Thank you in advance.
Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 4:47 AM
MOTOR MASTER
Hello my name is Dave.

I have found an easier way to bleed the brakes is to put a little brake fluid in a bottle, just enough to cover the tip of a small hose (I usually use a 16 once water bottle). Next get a few feet of 3/16" washer fluid hose and attach it to the bleeder valve and put the other end in the fluid in the bottle. Open the bleeder and have someone pump the brakes until the the bubbles stop, no need to open and close the valve just leave it open. When the bubbles stop have your helper hold the pedal to the floor and close the valve. Do this starting at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder working your way towards it. This procedure will insure no air is the system. The other thing I was wondering is if you have adjusted the rear brakes, I would make sure they are adjusted prior to any bleeding process. I hope this helps you get your brakes working properly and if you need further assistance please feel free to come back and update us and thank you for using 2CarPros!
Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 5:03 AM
ASEMASTER6371
As far as the red light, make sure the fluid level is correct. If that is okay, then the proportioning valve has moved to one side.

Usually just pushing down hard on the brake pedal will reset the valve. If not, then the valve may be stuck.

Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 6:24 AM