No Power to anything

UP29BALNE1
  • 2003 CADILLAC STS
A friend that owns a shop working on diesel trucks. Air conditioner was working on my air conditioner and jumped a wire across something in the fuse panel and then it popped and everything shut down. I might point out that the car was running when it happened and then shut down. After that not a light or anything has power. What do you think I should start by looking at besides another friend and mechanic? I purchased a used computer today from the wrecking yard today out of a 2002 STS. What do I have to do to put it in my car or can I even install it in my car? Thanks guys for all your help.
Thursday, September 1st, 2016 AT 8:04 PM

There are about four dozen computer modules on your car, but none of them are going to cause a total electrical failure. Do not jump on the unlikely and expensive stuff before you look at the simple things. Start with the fuses in the under-hood fuse box. Since I do not know what was shorted or what blew, start with a few voltage measurements. Check for 12 volts on the large bolted-on wire on the back of the generator. Also check on both sides of the large fuse that is usually bolted into the fuse box.

Visually inspect the large fuses to see if one is blown.
Thursday, September 1st, 2016 AT 8:16 PM
UP29BALNE1
Thank you I will start there and let you know what I find. Thank you
Friday, September 2nd, 2016 AT 4:58 PM
KEN
You are welcome please get back to us when you know something so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Monday, September 5th, 2016 AT 9:47 AM
UP29BALNE1
Any way possible to get a wiring diagram of the ignition modules and the starter relay.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 3:54 AM
The best way is to get a copy of the manufacturer's service manual. Don't waste your time looking for a Haynes or Chiltons for this because they don''t have electrical diagrams. You can also buy a subscription online for jut your car from the same companies the independent repair shops use. The common ones are Mitchell-On-Demand and AllData.

Also consider visiting the dealer. At the one I worked for, the service writers had the owners' blessings to photocopy a few pages for regular customers If they had the time. We did that for other dealerships in our area too.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 AT 12:55 AM
KEN
Hello UP29BALNE1,

I found these wiring diagrams for you please let me know if you need anything else.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 AT 2:39 PM