No fuel, no power at the pump

JASON WATSON
  • 2003 KIA SORENTO
Okay, I checked the fuel relay I got from 30-86i have twelve volts 30-85 I have. 24 85-86 I have twelve. No difference after crank up and it sits there with the switch on.
Saturday, November 11th, 2017 AT 1:33 PM

STEVE W.
Pin 87 should be the power feed from the relay to the pump. Pins 85/86 are both sides of the coil. Pin 30 is twelve volts from the pump fuse.

If you jump from pin 30 to pin 87 in the socket the pump should run if the pump is good. If you want a quick test of the circuit put a test light in as a jumper. If the pump circuit is good the light should turn on.

There is a fuel cut sensor shown in the power line to the pump. That is in the right hand side of the engine compartment with a yellow wire and red wire in its connector. If it fails or opens no power gets to the pump. But other than telling where it is there is no other information in the service information

The pump ground wire is a black wire behind the right taillight.
-1
Saturday, November 11th, 2017 AT 7:46 PM
JASON WATSON
Okay, yes it will jump. I tested the volts at the pump there are five wires at start it is twelve and after it is ten. The only wires getting anything from are the green and a black one. There is also blue, red, and another black. I have two pumps and neither one will make it run. I am lost and confused. Please help.
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 2:32 PM
STEVE W.
OK, you say the pump will turn on with it jumped? Correct?

When you say you have two pumps but neither makes it run, are you saying that they work but the engine won't run?

How about we back up a bit and give me a description of what this vehicle isn't doing, and how you determined it's a fuel problem?
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 3:23 PM
JASON WATSON
I can put gas in the breather or bypass the fuel relay and the car will run but hook it up the way it's supposed to be the car starving for gas until it won't start
+1
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
JASON WATSON
The only wires getting anything are green and black 12 at at start and 10, don't make any since to me to test the pump wires are blue and black
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 3:46 PM
STEVE W.
So if you install the pump relay the engine doesn't get enough fuel but if you jump the relay out it does? And it runs like normal with the relay jumped out?

The only thing that changes is the control from the PCM.

Do you have a way to test the fuel pressure at the rail? A gauge tapped into the main line should show about 39 psi with the engine running at idle. If you see that with the relay jumped then the pump and lines are OK and the issue is likely the PCM itself has a problem controlling the relay.
+1
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 3:46 PM
STEVE W.
I don't see a blue as pump power, The pump power supply should be a red wire. Then a black for ground.
A full line trace shows the relay fed by the fuel fuse, then out of the relay as a yellow wire to the fuel cut sensor, out of the sensor the power is now on a red wire to the pump.

There should be a Green wire that goes to the fuel gauge from the sending unit in the tank and another Black which is the ground for the fuel gauge.

Green/black stripe, Brown and Red should be the colors on the tank pressure sensor and White and Black for the temperature sensor.

This is assuming that these are correct.
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 4:12 PM
JASON WATSON
Should I bypass the relay to check the pressure, only way it's going to run
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 4:45 PM
STEVE W.
Yup. If it runs and the pressure is in spec then you have a relay control issue.
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 5:38 PM
JASON WATSON
Ok thanks I will check it tomorrow, thanks for the info, wonder what the blue wire is, will send u a pic tomorrow thanks
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 5:59 PM
JASON WATSON
Power to the green no power to red
Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 AT 5:58 AM
JASON WATSON
The first pic I have power on green and black, 2nd pic I have power 3rd power there to, I don't no I'm lost
Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 AT 6:00 AM
STEVE W.
OK in those pictures the first picture is the wiring for the pump and fuel level sensor.
The second picture with the black and white wires is the fuel temperature sender and the third picture is the fuel tank pressure sensor.

Out of those you can ignore the second and third items, they only tell the PCM info, they don't control or work with the fuel pump.

In the first picture, you should have power on the RED wire, it feeds power to the pump.
There will also be power on the GREEN wire as it feeds the fuel level sending unit.

You say you have power on a black wire? Is it the larger black wire on the right next to the green and red wires? If so that is supposed to be a ground wire. If it wasn't grounded properly it will show power. Follow it and you should find it connects to either the middle of the car or runs up and behind the taillight. It is either broken or corroded off. I would simply run a test wire to a good ground and connect it to that wire. The pump should work then.
Thursday, November 16th, 2017 AT 8:04 AM