NO BRAKE LIGHT OR TURN SIGNAL AND NO BACK UP LIGHT

• raykl1
  • 1988 Ford Ranger
  • manual

No brake light or turn signal and no back up light on left (drivers side). The tail light on left side is good. Have tested and swaped bulbs with working right side. The brake light and tail light use same bulb (double filament). The voltage on brake side is 9.4v. The tail light side is 11.3v. The back up light is 10.4v. On the right side all three voltages are approx. 11.5. When I turn signal lever to the left the left arrow dash light stays on. It does not blink. Usually has been defective bulb until now. Not sure where to go now. Thanks for your help.

Monday, December 23rd, 2013 AT 8:03 AM

• saturntech9

Have you checked the ground wire to the left light?

Monday, December 23rd, 2013 AT 8:35 AM
  • raykl1

I checked the ground wire at the bulb socket. I would think if I had a bad ground I would not measure a voltage in the socket. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 AT 6:46 AM
  • saturntech9

The proper way to test the power wire to the socket would be to the chassis of the truck. Then the ground wire with low ohms setting at 200 ohms scale between the wire and the chassis you should see 2 ohms or less?If everything is good it should work lol. You always test the wires separate you have to break the Circuit down into sections.

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 AT 8:13 AM