No acceleration

KENNETH RUTTER
  • 1996 BUICK REGAL
  • RWD
Until recently, it has ran fan. And then, this past Sunday (as of the time of this post), the RPM's began to shoot up to five and six and the car lost acceleration. I thought it needed more transmission fluid, but today I found out that I had put too much in it. So my dad and I drained the pan and refilled it, but the car refused to go into gear. Let me rephrase, it would go into gear, but it would not go anywhere. I found several posts on various sites about how it might be a transmission pump or a transmission lockup solenoid, but the results upon testing them were still the same; no acceleration at all. Does anyone know how this can be fixed without the need for a mechanic?
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 5:19 AM

SATURNTECH9
Are there any codes? Was the old transmission fluid black and burnt?
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 12:53 PM
KENNETH RUTTER
No codes, fluid was not black or burnt, there were no metal shavings in the fluid. And today we checked to see if the transmission cables had come undone, but if that were the case, the car would not go into gear. All signs are pointing to the transmission having gone bad, but I do not know.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 2:37 PM
SATURNTECH9
If your taking about TCC solenoid that wont make it not go into gear. Are there any codes in the computer? The shift linkage is moving? The alternator is working?
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 5:39 PM
KENNETH RUTTER
I do not have a thing to look for codes. The linkage works and the alternator works, otherwise it would not go into gear and the car would not start.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 6:34 PM
SATURNTECH9
I have seen alternators not putting out the voltage they should. Car starts, but the transmission does not work correctly. So never bank on stuff like that.I would make sure there are no codes for sure. What is the voltage at the battery with it running? You could have a internal failure in the transmission as well.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 6:44 PM
KENNETH RUTTER
We are thinking it is an inside thing with the transmission as well, but we are not to sure because we cannot get a mechanic out here to look at it.
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 5:23 AM
SATURNTECH9
If we knew if there were codes seen some live data maybe checked the actual transmission pump pressures. So you know the alternator is charging for sure?
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 4:46 PM
KENNETH RUTTER
Yes, because we've gotten the car to move a little bit after putting in some transmission cleaner, but it's like the car loses power when it gets hot. There's plenty of coolant, so we know that's not the reason. So what we're going to try sometime -- maybe later today -- is just run it a little bit to loosen it up and we'll see what happens.
Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 5:16 AM
SATURNTECH9
If it's moving when it's cold but when it gets hot doesn't?Then the fluid is thinning when it gets hot and fluid is probably going thru a bad sealing in the transmission.
Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 12:13 PM
KENNETH RUTTER
I've got someone looking at it Monday. He's pretty sure the filter just needs cleaned.
Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 7:09 PM
SATURNTECH9
That filter would have to be plugged solid and you said the fluid wasn't black or burnt so it sounds like the fluid wasn't really old and the filter usually gets changed with the fluid. You can try changing the filter my experience with that is usually doesn't fix a no engaging transmission. But worth a try.
Friday, August 12th, 2016 AT 7:40 PM