2003 Nissan Xterra Over heating

96INTERGRAGSR
  • 2003 NISSAN XTERRA
Engine Cooling problem
2003 Nissan Xterra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75k miles

Xterra over heating after 20 minutes of driving. I added water and 50/50 coolent both to radiator. Still same thing happens. I not sure if I need to flush all and replace with real anti freeze or the water pump. There is no check engine light that comes on.

I did read some other article on your site about hoses. I have the bad smell as well coming from the motor area also. So, I guess that means a leak some where.

I just don't want to replace water pump if that is not the problem.

The top radiator hose did have small leak last year. I trimed off 1 inch or so and put it back on.

Thanks,

Scott
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 3:35 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Scott,

If coolant is depleting, then you need to check for leakages. A pressure test would verify where the leaking is coming from.

When coolant level is low, overheating would occur.
A stuck thermostat would also cause overheating.
Did you check the clutch fan?
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 12:34 PM
96INTERGRAGSR
I do not see any visable leaks anywhere. The a/c line along the fire wall drips from condinsation pretty heavy.

Not sure how to check the clutch fan. Unless it is by turning on a/c button on and off to see if it comes on.

I guess the thermostate might be an option as well. How do I know if it is stuck?

Thanks,

Scott
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM
KHLOW2008
To test the thermostat, it has to be removed. Hang it with a piece of thread in a beaker of water and put the water to boil. If it opens fully, then it is good.

When leaks are not visible, a pressure test would have to be performed to locate the source.

To test the clutch fan, it is mechanical and not controlled by the A/C on or off. Only the condenser fan( if equipped) is affected.

When engine is stopped, turn the fan blades with your hand. There should be some resistance whne the fan is being turned. If it freewheels too easily, the clutch fan siscus fluids have leaked out and dried up. Replenishment is required.

Check if the fan is pulling in air strongly and ensure the radiator shroud is not damaged.
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 3:39 PM
96INTERGRAGSR
Last night I replaced thermostate and upper hose. I drove to work today and it over heated again. I did check the fan. It will not spin freely, maybe a half turn.

The rad shroud is factory and sealed good. I do have a very small leak in a short (L shaped) bypass hose that is very difficult to get to on top, middle of the motor. There is some corrosion and damp. No heavy leak or drip where I see it. I sprayed brake cleaner on all hose connection areas to see if I can see any leaks. No drips anywhere.

I guess I will take to do a pressure test. I am not losing any water day by day. I pulled the pressure cap of a little bit ago. It made a gurgle sound. I added very little water and filled overflow tank to limit also.

When I drive home tonight from work, I will see if any of that helps.

What do you think I should do next?

Thanks again,
Scott
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 3:00 PM
KHLOW2008
If everything is working correctly with no coolant losses, then the radiator would have to be checked for clogging.

If there are any leakages, the recovery tank should be depleting.

The gurgling noise indicates the radiator cap might be bad.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 3:27 PM