ENGINE RUNS ROUGH AND CUTS OFF COMPLETELY

1996 Nissan Truck

jivinjojo

June, 27, 2010 AT 3:45 PM

1996 Nissan Truck 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

My daughter's 1996 Nissan pickup hesitates to start- when it eventually gets started it would run REALLY rough, then eventually stall out. We thought at first it was the fuel filter. Replaced it and still has the problem. Then had it diagnosed at parts store- was told it was an oxygen sensor. Replaced it and still has the problem. We are up for ANY suggestions! Thanks!
REPLY TO POST:
We had the truck looked at by a mechanic and they hooked it up for tests- they said it was the distributor- we replaced the distributor and still the same issues- we have replaced in total the distributor & cap, plugs & wires, rotor button, O2 sensor, mass air flow sensor & removed the catylac converter to test it without and with all these replaced it still sputters and spits and will not idle. We REALLY need some serious advice, thanks again!

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

June, 29, 2010 AT 12:09 PM

Hi jivinjojo,

Thank you for the donation.

When engine runs rough, it could be a fault with the sparks plugs and/or related parts if it is ignition based. Alternatively if it is fuel related, the most commong fault would be the injectors.

Rough running engines would usually have at least one cylinder misfiring. Try to locate which is misfiring. The difficult starting indicates a possible fault with flooding or fuel starvation and I would suggest checking the fuel injectors first.