2002 Nissan Sentra Misfire on first start - now won't crank

GTECHENGNR
  • 2002 NISSAN SENTRA
2002 Nissan Sentra XE
L4 - 1.8L 1809cc type QG18DE - MFI GAS DOHC

Check Engine Light - Code reports multiple misfires.
Vehicle has 151000 miles, tune up at 146,000, new plugs and Computer Diagnostices. Air Flow Meter/Sensor replaced.

For the past few weeks, the car cranks fine, but a little sputter for maybe 10 seconds or so. I use Fuel Additive abour twice a month to keep injectors, etc. Clean. After 10 seconds runs fine, normal (good) acceleration, and gas mileage still right at 30mpg.

New Computer "brain" installed by dealer when I took the car in for re-call work just before warranty expiration at 100,000 miles. So new brain only has 53,000 miles.

Q: Could the Crank Sensor be causing this? I can replace it myself, easily assesible, and not expensive.

Q: What else electrical could cause a timing issue
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:51 AM

LARRY6354
What has happened is you have a slightly blown headgasket or cracked head. The brief miss you encountered was water entering the cylender after parking it and it would take a while to burn off. NOW, you cylender has filled w/gas and will not allow a crank. Pull your plugs and tthen crank it. The gas wioll spew from the suspect cyleinder
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 6:57 PM
GTECHENGNR
Problem turns out to be Catalytic Converter. There was an overiding code for that. The Converter is the factory original with 150+k miles.
.
The Converter is "clogged" or just dead. The clue is black soot around the end of the tailpipe. The converter is no longer converting and Carbon is/has built up in the interleaving material. This puts back pressure into the cylinders and keeps the fuel and oxygen from entering sufficiently.
.
Luckily, the engine still fires enough to blow out the blockage after a few seconds. But it has, and is, getting worse.
.
I will get the Cat Converter replaced, but I have had suggestions from mechanics to "poke a hole or two" in the "Cat" for a temporary remedy until I can get the car into the shop. Of course, it still will not pass an emissions inspection.
.
Catalytic Converter blockage can also occur from driving through deep puddles (fills with water causing corrosion) or mud, etc.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 3:40 PM