1995 200SX will not start

MEGHATRON14
  • 1995 NISSAN SENTRA
I have a manual 1995 nissan 200SX 115,000 miles
I went to start it and it didn't do anything but make a odd faint noise. The noise was similar to when someone forgets gets their car is running and tries to start it, only it wasn't loud at all and lasted for maybe only a second. It didn't make any noises like it was trying to turn over or anything. My cd player light flickerd on and then off. I tried it again and nothing. No noise, no clicking, no power to anything in the car at all. I had just driven it maybe an hour before. I didn't leave any lights or anything on. I wasn't having any problems that I think would have anything at all to do with this. My friends complained about the exhaust smell. The engine has been a little bit louder then normal for a while now. I just figured it's because it's and old car and I need to have my exhaust system worked on soon.

I bought it in 2002. I have replaced the following:
fly wheel 2002
battery 2003
o2 censor sensor 2004
battery again in 2005
alternator January 2007
**I have never replaced the starter**

My brother normally does all the light work on my car. (Brake pads, battery, broken motor on whippers)
He replaced the battery both times. Each time they were covered in battery acid and crusty. He said I need new conections to my battery.

I checked under the hood, the battery doesn't look acid covered. I glanced at the connectors, they appeared to be hooked up and the didn't wiggle. I don't know if that means much.

I'm a single mommy that works and goes to college full time. I can't live without a car. I would have to wait a few days for my brother to come check it out. I don't want to wait on him if it is something he can't fix like a starter or alternator. I rather not bother him and just have it towed, which is what would happen after he wasted his time figuring out he couldn't fix or didn't know what it was.

I really appreciate any advice anyone has. I will keep repairing this car until the day gasoline cars are illegal and then I will retire it to the hall of fame. A.K.A my gargage. :) :) Thanks!
Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 8:36 PM

BLACKOP555
You say your are getting no power or very little so I would check the battery and cables and clean them and see. Also try jumping it and seeing if it trys to start right up.
Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 8:50 PM
MEGHATRON14
I have to wait until tomorrow for my brother to come check my car out and its anoying me. If this is my battery or even the alternator why does it keep happening? I know that replacing a battery or alternater that often isn't normal. Is there something that is being looked over that keeps causing this to happen? Why does the positive, negative, and cables get so much build up on them. Is that normal?
Some random guy parked near me said it's my starter this time. If it was wouldnt my lights and everything come on when I try to start it? Didn't make sense to me.

While being annoyed without a car I did the following:

Tried to start it last night. It mad a click noise and was beeping cause my key was in it. The lights wouldnt come on nothing. The it wouldnt even beep for my keys being in it.
Went outside an saw my headlights on brake lights on. I guess I didnt turn the switch off before. Windows and locks wouldnt work. Tried to start it made a "crunch" noise I guess and nothing. All the lights and everything went out. Then it wouldnt even click when I tried to start it.
Today I had my friend jump it. Waited about 10 minutes. When I tried it. It made that light "crunch" noise and all of the warning lights came on like it would when starting but then they went off. No power to anything. Left jumpers on a little longer tried one final time. And it did nothing no noise no crunk no click no beeping when I put the key in. I know I need to clean the battery ad check the connections. My brother will do that tomorrow. Also when we jumped it he said that normally when you hook the car that won't start up it normally will spark when you hook up the negative or something and it didn't.
Monday, October 29th, 2007 AT 11:39 PM