1991 Nissan Sentra speedometer

FRETBURNER90
  • 1991 NISSAN SENTRA
1991 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 155 k miles

my car's speedometer is not working.I took the car for a drive and it was working fine, but then the speedometer dropped to 0. And hasnt moved at all. I stopped and checked the fuses, none of them were damaged. The car starts and runs fine. And rpm gauge and every other gauge works fine, its just the speed and odometer that wont work, its not digital. This has happened to me before, but it was a popped fuse, I replaced it and it worked fine. But now, its not the fuses. I think it might be a sensor, but do the sensors really fail so easily? Need help please.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 10:41 PM

Inspect the gear on the transaxle and on the speedometer head
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 10:59 PM
FRETBURNER90
May I ask how do u do that? Where is that located and how do u check it?
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 11:46 PM
Follow the speedometer cable both ends down to the tranny and behind the speedometer-you need to open it up to inspect-also get a repair manual this one can be tough to deal with its not a simple fix
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 AT 12:09 AM
FRETBURNER90
What do I need to open up? Im sorry, I know little of cars. Do u think this may be the reason or is there another reason?What other things can be wrong?
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 AT 12:38 AM
Remove the assembly where you see all the lights and check behind the speedometer head I've been here before with this sentras. If you're unable to bring it in.
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 AT 1:30 AM
FRETBURNER90
Do u mean to remove the speedometter? Like the whole cluster thing?Becuase ive done that before, and behind there I see a hole that I think plugs into something when I put the cluster back in. And also there is a cable that connects back there.
I have checked the fuses, and none are popped. Everything reads good, even the rpm needle, but the speed needle and odometer wont move, so im thinking its that hole thats in the back right?Something might have happened?I dont know where the speedometer cables are. Plus I heard that some cars are cable and some are sensors? How do I know what my car is?
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 AT 1:54 AM