ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM1987 NISSAN ...

1987 Nissan Patrol/Safari

JensesMQ

May, 19, 2009 AT 5:51 AM

1987 Nissan Patrol/Safari 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 390000 miles

I just noticed that the oil gauge is not reading (ie below zero). It has only been like this for past few days (it normally sits at ~mid-scale). The car seems to be running OK otherwise (ie not heating up, etc).
Question : Is it likely to be the gauge, or the sensor, or maybe it actually has no oil pressure (could it keep working? I have driven ~100kms like this).

I put a voltmeter across the oil sensor, but it always reads +12V. Resistance of Sensor appears to be 100 ohms when motor not running, and open-circuit when motor is running.

I substituted a 2k ohm variable resistor for the sensor, and can vary the voltage across it between 0 and 12V, but there is no change in the gauge on the dashboard (for any voltage setting).

I am totally confused.
Q1: What resistance, or voltage should I see across the oil pressure sensor? (When motor is running, and not running)
Q2: Why is the gauge not registering anything with the variable resistor?
Do I have two faults?
There does not seem to be a blown fuse anywhere.

This is the first Diesel engine I have worked on. It appears to have many differences from petrol engines - in totally unpredictable areas.

Hope you can help.

Rgds. JK

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tundra
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
TPS Sensor Step by Step Replacement Guide