WON'T STAY RUNNING

1988 Nissan Pathfinder

project37

November, 13, 2009 AT 6:36 PM

1988 Nissan Pathfinder 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 107000 miles

i had to pull home a car yesterday. After I got it home I went to run an errand and the pathfinder just shut off.I was able to start it a couple of times it seemed week and I could smell a sulfur smell. Had it pulled home. Started last night but I shut it down. Started it today but died when I applied gas and won't restart. Help you don't think towing a car did this do you

November, 18, 2009 AT 11:23 AM

Hi project37,

Thank you for the donation.

I don't believe towing another vehicle did this.

You would have to start from the basics to understand what is wrng. Here is a link for you to check out what is missing causing the non starting. Let me know if you have additional information.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/first_things.htm

Follow the link that aptly describes the condition.

project37

November, 21, 2009 AT 10:45 AM

I know that it is getting plenty of gas to the throttle body and there is spark to the plugs what is left. I forgot to mention. The shows this to be an idle up solenoid it seems to be wet sometimes

November, 21, 2009 AT 2:54 PM

If you have sparks and fuel, the next item to check would be the compression pressure.

project37

November, 24, 2009 AT 4:06 PM

We advanced the timing through the distributor all the way for it to start. While it was running it ran ruff and if you gave it gas it would die. It did start and run for several minutes before it died. While it was running the tach was jumpy before it quit and their was some water and rust coming out of the tail pipe. Of course it hasn't been started in over a week.

November, 24, 2009 AT 4:34 PM

Water out of tail pipe after sitting for extended periods are normal as condensation in the exhaust system would be purged out but you need to check the coolant level to see if it is correct. Hope you have not damaged the head gaskets due to overheating.

Did you test the engine compression?

A jumpy tachometer is an indication the ignition coil is faulty and that could be the reason you are not able to start. Sparks might be present but are they strong enough? Are the sparks bright blue or dull orange?

project37

November, 24, 2009 AT 6:42 PM

The coolent level is fine. It hasn't over heated. Havn't ran the compression test yet. Tested for spark with a in line spark tester. When we took out the #1 plug it looks like the plug they show on this site where they say it is carboned over but dry. These plugs have been in the truck less than a year. I guesse it was orange when he tested the plugs

November, 25, 2009 AT 11:30 AM

Orange colored sparks means the ignition coil is weak and that can cause non starting. Get the coil checked.

project37

November, 25, 2009 AT 3:07 PM

I will thanks

project37

November, 27, 2009 AT 2:01 PM

We replaced the coil and the spark is still orange

November, 28, 2009 AT 6:00 AM

Is it an OEM coil? Brand new?

Is the tachometer still jumping around?

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement