1999 NISSAN WHAT DAMAGE MAY I HAVE DONE TO MY E

• Renemcardenas
  • 1999 NISSAN

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Other Nissan Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

I am trying to determine if my problem is a bad thermostat or a bad water pump. I would not call myself not ever a shade mechanic, just strapped financially and trying to do any repirs that are managable with some basic tool and skill set.
I could try the replacing the thermostat, but the water pump will have to be defer to a shop.

I recently shunted the heater core after noticing a cabin water leak. Everything looked ok in the U water hose used, until recently when I noticed water steam leaking from this hose.
Not realizing what the real problem, might have been, I just thighten the worm screws in the clamps assuming these were loose.

I drove last night and noted my car overheating, however temp needle did not show reason for alarm, it pointed around 3o'clock ( with 1= HOT, and 5=COLD ), then the engine shutdown as I approched parking lot of autostore, where I was driving for a small erand.

The engine was running smooth, before I lost power and eventually shut off. I am assuming the worst, of a ceassed engine and self destruction, but wondering if it could be as simple as a thermostat or water pump problem.

Please enlight me on my ignorance, and personal crisis.

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 8:46 AM