POWER STEERING PUMP

Nissan Maxima

TokenWasp

May, 28, 2006 AT 8:54 PM

I have been having a winding/whirring/buzzing noise coming from the engine of my 98 maxima. The Local Firestone shop couldn't find the problem, then thought it was a pulley, and replaced the pulley, but that didn't fix it.

I took it to a dealer and they said it was the power steering pump, but wanted $895 to replace it. The Firestone place said they could replace it for $395, so I let them do it.

The problem is that that didn't fix the noise. The Firestone guy said that a new power steering pump will make noise for a few hundred miles, until the " seals get broken-in", or something like that. However, it has been a week, and the noise is getting worse.

So, my questions are: is the Firestone guy full of it when he says it is normal for the new pump to make noise? &Amp; if so, what could the noise be? - Could a bad install of the pump (leaving air in the line, etc.) Cause the noise?

Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal