2005 Nissan Maxima Catalytic Converter

CMSULL17
  • 2005 NISSAN MAXIMA
Have a service engine soon light that has been constantly on for a while now.
Was read via scanner by one mechanic who said it's the catalytic converter and needs to be replaced, or the car won't pass emissions inspection.
The car's performance has been fine, however when I previously brought it to the same mechanic a month ago regarding the check engine light, he said it was the O2 sensors and ended up replacing all 3 of them for about $600.
Does this seem right? Did the sensors really need to be replaced the first time, if the scanner was also reading "catalytic" problem back then?

Secondly,
would an aftermarket catalytic converter be a good idea for this vehicle, with the year and mileage on it?

Thank you,
Chris
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 12:01 PM

MADMIKE1735
What is the code its throwing? If its a cat effiecency code, it will be a P0420. A cat doesnt gp bad on its own. I suggest having all o2 sensors replaced prior, as they are what tells the computer if the cat is working or not. As you already did this, then the cat is most likely no good and does need to be replaced. As far as aftermarket goes, that should work just fine. Keep me posted.
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 AT 9:48 PM