2002 Nissan Maxima Crank shaft position sensor

JTA2903
  • 2002 NISSAN MAXIMA
Can you tell me where the crankshaft position sensor is located? My mother-in-law got an error code saying it was going bad and the shop wanted $500 to replace it. I'm sure I can handle it but I need to know where it is. Thank you.
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 8:55 AM

CMDRDATATX
There are two of these in a 2002 Max. They are located on the right side (looking from the front of the car). Google for Max 2002 CPS location and you'll be able to find a picture of it's location. They cost less than $100 each from a dealer, and installation is very simple: disconnect the plug cable, remove ONE retaining screw (10 mm, I think), and pull out the old one and put in the new one. Plug the cable back and you're done. Its no more than a 10 minute job per CPS.

BTW, there is a green latch on the plug that you push down and pull the plug up to release the latch.
+2
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 5:52 PM
CARLOSC305
What small world that happen to me. I had to change cam shaft sensor and something craft shaft sensor
cam cost like 70 and craft cost 50
my mechanic put it for free cause he own my dad a favor but I saw him do it. The cam shaft is easier it right next to the motor craft shaft they had to lift car up. I think in a normal mechanic not a dealership it should cost like 60 bucks with parts like 120

btw does your car turn of while driving? Mines doing this but cant find solution
+2
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 7:17 PM
CMDRDATATX
Before I had my CPS replaced, yes, the engine would occasionally just turned off and I had to cruise to the side of the street without power. Once there I can restart the negine and it took a couple of tries before it would fire back up and able to drive again. If you only replace one of the CPS, perhaps your other one is also going bad. I'd check to see if you have another CEL code stored.
+1
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 7:53 PM