2000 Nissan Maxima Won't start

MWALLACE1959
  • 2000 NISSAN MAXIMA
My car willl not start at times. I've put a new starter on the car because I thought that was the problem and also had the dealer hook it up to the machine in which they said the anti theft had been activated and the car had to be reporgrammed which it was, when I turn the key I have all lights and radio but not even a click, nothing happens.

I've had the car towed three times but the dealership says they cannot find anything wrong with the car.

I have had the anti theft reprogrammed because the dealership said the issue was the key (computer chip) issue, however the car is still not starting at times.
Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 AT 5:59 PM

CMDRDATATX
From your description it sounded like an electrical/computer problem. Are you using the factory key set to start the engine? The key that comes with the car has a small computer chip embedded in the key (the blue piece). Without it, the car will not start. It may crank the engine, but the computer will not let it fire and run.

Also try your second spare key. Maybe the chip in the first key is on the fritz (going bad).
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 8:19 PM
MWALLACE1959
[quote="cmdrdatatx"]From your description it sounded like an electrical/computer problem. Are you using the factory key set to start the engine? The key that comes with the car has a small computer chip embedded in the key (the blue piece). Without it, the car will not start. It may crank the engine, but the computer will not let it fire and run.

Also try your second spare key. Maybe the chip in the first key is on the fritz (going bad).[/Quote

I have had the computer system reset and new keys programmed as this was thought to be the issue in the beginning however the problem continued so they replaced the starter, I am still having the same problem.
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 10:47 PM
CMDRDATATX
OK, electrical problem can get tricky. My next step would be to disconnect the anti-theft sensors:
1. The hood sensor is located just to the right front as look into the engine.
2. The four door sensors (there are four of these).
3. I think there is another one in the trunk lid, but I don't recall where it is located.

These sensors are simple switches that provide ground signal to the theft computer. Disconnecting it would disable these sensor from activating the anti-theft.

If this solves your problem, then you need to isolate which one is causing it. If not, then perhaps you have a wiring to the computer that is chafed/frayed, thus inadvertently sending a signal to the computer to disable startup.

One other question: when this event occured, do you hear the horn beeps. The headlamp flashes etc. Sometimes before you attempt to start it?
+1
Friday, June 18th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM
MWALLACE1959
I have a full panel of lights, everything works inside the car, all of the electric windows, a/c, radio etc. I do not have a beep from the horn or a headlamp flash. This car left me stranded again tonight.
Friday, June 18th, 2010 AT 11:39 PM
CMDRDATATX
OK, I think I was misled by the initial fix solution provided by the dealer.

1. For example, you have the starter replaced but that did not solve the problem. So obviously its is NOT the starter.
2. The dealer says it is the alarm triggered which disabled the car from "firing". This resulted in my guessing that you have a faulty sensor. But since your car never honked/blinked anytime this is happening, I have my doubt that the dealer is correct in their diagnosis too.

Let' start over:

when you say the car won't start, what are the symptoms? Does the engine cranks but not firing, or just key turn to start and nothing happened/no crank?

Your answer may give me another clue to look. Next time this happens to you, please try this:

1. Jiggle the shifter handle from park to drive to park again a couple of time.
2. If it is stick shift, try depressing, release and depressing the clutch pedal, just to make sure the start safety mechanism is engaging.

Good luck.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 6:21 PM
MWALLACE1959
To answer your question about trying to turn the car over, There is no click no try to start, nothing happens. I do have lights radio etc just nothing that would make me think the car is going to even try to start.

The last time the car did this I did go from Park to drive with no success. I opened and slammed the hood, had the battery tested etc all to no avail. I am being told now that I will have to leave it at Nissan to see if they can diagnose the problem.
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 9:40 PM